Hobo Jim - Alaska's Official State Balladeer


Advertisement
North America
August 1st 2009
Published: August 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Old CanneryThe Old CanneryThe Old Cannery

This old cannery from 1912 has been renovated and now holds the new "Sockeye's" Restaurant. Hobo Jim, Alaska's Official State Balladeer now entertains there several nights a week. The food is good!
Last night we went to see Alaska's State Balladeer, Hobo Jim! He puts on a good show at the Kenai Landing Restaurant called "Sockeye's". The Govenor appointed him the official Alaska State Balladeer for the songs he has written and music he has made famous over the years. He sings only songs about Alaska.

Located at the mouth of the Kenai River on the 65 acre site of a 1912 cannery, Kenai Landing is a new waterfront resort community with hotels, restaurants and shops. They have done a nice job on this area. This area is steeped in 90 years of Alaskan history and is surrounded by wildlife and recreational opportunity. It is hidden off the main highway and you would never know it was there if you didn't talk to the locals. The cannery's original buildings have been renovated into modern lodging options with an RV park, cabins, suites and a very nice restaurant. There is also a dockside arts and crafts building and a local dockside charter boat business offering fishing charters on the Cook Inlet and the Kenai River.

The ice dam on the Kenai broke due to the warm weather here. We have also had
Hobo JimHobo JimHobo Jim

Hobo Jim has been named by the goveror as Alaska's Official State Balladeer! He writes and sings songs about Alaska.
a lot of rain in the past week or so. The river level has risen several feet and the fishing has suddenly turned sour. We have decided to head north to Wasilla and the Talkeetna area. We want to fly around Mt. McKinley and land on a glacier there and visit Denali National Park.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.8kb