Yellowstone and the Beartooth All American Hiway


Advertisement
North America
June 5th 2009
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Beartooth All-American Road is heralded as one of the most scenic drives in the United States! The route features breathtaking views of the Absaroka and Beartooth Mountains and open high alpine plateaus dotted with countless glacial lakes, forested valleys, waterfalls and wildlife.

The highway provides easy access to Yellowstone National Park at its northeast entrance. This highway was completed in 1936 and since that time the highway has provided many visitors a rare opportunity to see the transition from a lush forest ecosystem to bare tundra in the space of just a few miles. This highway is the highest and the most rugged area in the lower 48 states, with 20 peaks reaching 12,000 ft. or more in elevation. Glaciers are found on the sides of nearly every mountain peak over 11,500 ft. The road itself is the highest elevation highway in Wyoming at 10, 947 feet and Montana 10,350 feet. Visitors can cross country or downhill ski in June and July or hike across broad plateaus, and view and photograph wildlife that cannot be found elsewhere. What an incredible experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 992.6kb