Breckenridge and Olathe, Colorado


Advertisement
North America
May 23rd 2009
Published: June 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Breckenridge is a nice little mountain town and ski area. In 1859 gold was discovered along the Blue River and a base camp, later to be known as Breckenridge was established. While none of this base camp remains today, Breckenridge does contain more than 350 historic structures, making it the largest historic district in the state of Colorado.

In 1859 one of the first buildings built along the Blue River was the Gold Pan Saloon. It was a rough and ready bar for the miners. Today, the Gold Pan Saloon is still in business at 103 N. Main Street in Breckenridge and it stands proud as the oldest continuously operated bar west of the Mississippi.

In 1860 Breckenridge gets a post office to serve the more than 8,000 miners and merchants who flock to the area.

In 1869 Breckenridge Navy founded by "Captain" Samuel Adams. Adams, seeking a water route from the rocky mountains to the Pacific, leads four boats on an ill-fated trip from the Blue River to the Colorado River before hopes are abandoned. Today we have a beer brewed in Breckenridge called "Samuel Adams". Visit the Breckenridge Brewery when in town. The eats are delicious and the Beer is wonderful.

In 1879 Father John Dyer, the "Snowshoe Preacher" founded his Methodist church in Breckenridge. Dyer spent his winters on his twelve-foot-long skis, traveling between mining camps to preach. The church founded by Dyer is still operating today at 310 Wellington St.

In 1898 "The Big Snow" comes to Breckenridge. Snow falls everyday from November through February, forcing residents to dig tunnels to travel through town and stoping all trains from visiting Breckenridge for months.

On July 27, 1961 Rounds and Porter Lumber Company of Wichita, Kansas was issued a permit for a new ski area in Breckenridge. Tapping into a new "vein" of winter sports, the ski area ensures the continuation of the town and the area's history.

Breckenridge continued to expand and more lifts were added through the years. It eventually merged with Vail, Beaver Creek and Keystone to become Vail resorts, the largest mountain resort in North America at the time. The latest high speed lifts operate out of Breckenridge and over 1,500,000 skiers visit the resort every year.

We had dinner for our 26th anniversary at the Hearthstone Restaurant here in Breckenridge. This is one of our favorite dining places in town.

We left Breckenridge and motored on down to Olathe , Colorado to pick fresh Asparagus at the local winery and to visit Ridgway, Colorado, one of our favorite fishing holes !



Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb