2 Days in Telluride


Advertisement
North America
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The FallsThe FallsThe Falls

Just hanging out at the falls
Monday, June 2nd, 2008
Woke up late - around 9; after the night before, we really needed a good night’s sleep. Another day of acclimation, we hit the Bear Creek Trail (1,000 ft. gain) for a hike to an infamous waterfall 2 ½ miles into the mountains. Breath taking - the entire hike, and it was a tiring hike, but had a great reward at the end; a giant waterfall crashing into the rocks below. The spray of the water was refreshing, so we sat on the rocks, had a snack and enjoyed the peacefulness of the sound of the water and the surrounding scenery.

Making the most of the day, we took the gondola, (free gondola! Yay!) From Telluride, over the mountains to Mountain Village. Random fact: it’s the only free public transport gondola ride in the U.S. paid by the taxes of the Mountain Village - interesting. The view of both cities from the top was incredible. We took some pictures, stopped in Mountain Village for some shopping, and headed back over the mountain to Telluride for a quick lunch so we could begin our blogging. Who knew this blogging could be so difficult? We’ve been in the library for two hours now and still can’t find a site we can agree upon….ah…and this is just day 2!

Later in the day... So, we closed down the library without yet settling on a blog site, then decided to cruise the main drag in search of food and drinks. What do ya know? We found a Michigan bar on Main St that just happened to be showing the Penguins/Redwings game 5...and overtime was just beginning! What luck! The Brown Dog Saloon, home of eight different kinds of $4 long island ice teas. By the time the game hit the third OT (or was it 2nd? who knows...) we had tried 6 of them - combined, of course. Although the Red Wings lost, we had a great time. (see Jen's pictures with the server). Another unforgettable, long day and very cold night - somewhere in the 30's. Next morning: plans to shop for an hour or so then we're off to Durango.

A little info about Telluride… A really quaint little town nestled between several mountains that is about 10 blocks long and 5 blocks wide…elevation 8,745…population about 2000, but fluctuates to about 20,000 for festivals such as the one we are being booted from our campsite for…the Jazz festival which starts Thursday!

This town is great! The people are super chill and welcoming…everyone who is here “wants” to be here…according to folks at the local watering hole that we visited last night, “people have overcome many obstacles to get themselves here, whether it be financial, trying to find work or lodging, or even the loss of a fiance’ (he was speaking from experience), they all come here and want to be here”. Telluride is everything that I expected it to be. Everyone in this town loves the outdoors and is committed to keep them beautiful. Random thought/fact: Telluride has many ordinances within the city, much like every other city, but one that I think is amazing is that they do not allow any chain restaurants or stores…so in other words, no McDonalds, 7-11’s, or Wal-Marts!

One last note: We think we set the bar for this trip super high from the get go...Telluride was even better than we could have imagined, we hope we can find some more destinations just as amazing! Wish us luck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Bear Creek HikeBear Creek Hike
Bear Creek Hike

About a mile into the hike along the river that leads to the falls
Northern ViewNorthern View
Northern View

I don't know what Jen was thinking on this one!
Bear Creek FallsBear Creek Falls
Bear Creek Falls

The falls from a distance
Bear Creek WaterfallBear Creek Waterfall
Bear Creek Waterfall

The view at the end
The FallsThe Falls
The Falls

You can't tell here...but the water is f-f-freezing!
Bear Creek WaterfallBear Creek Waterfall
Bear Creek Waterfall

Rob poses like a pro!
Bear Creek WaterfallBear Creek Waterfall
Bear Creek Waterfall

I need to learn Rob's picture posing techniques! I look like a dork.
Jen Jen
Jen

a spactacular view in both directions!
RobRob
Rob

Picture perfect
Bear Creek WaterfallBear Creek Waterfall
Bear Creek Waterfall

The freezing cold water is crashing down hard
Bear Creek ViewBear Creek View
Bear Creek View

the view from the waterfall into the valley of Telluride
Top of TellurideTop of Telluride
Top of Telluride

This is probably as close as I'll ever get to a black diamond.
Telluride ski slopeTelluride ski slope
Telluride ski slope

The view of town from above
Telluride ski slopeTelluride ski slope
Telluride ski slope

Another angle from the top
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

Taking it all in with the aid of Jen's photographic visions and the fabulous self-timer
Contemplating LifeContemplating Life
Contemplating Life

Not really...I made him do it. Just another attempt at creative photography.


5th June 2008

You two are hilarious!!
Oh Jen, As I was reading I was thinking to myself...Wow, so much talk about the budget, but they seem to be getting lots of drinking in! Then I read the part about "no budget for hydration"...oh how you make me laugh! I can't wait to see you here and again in Chicago, maybe we can go out while we are there!
5th June 2008

Cleanliness
Glad to hear you are showering. I feel much better now. I will celebrate with a glass of sangria. P.S. Your pictures are amazing. P.P.S. (or is is P.S.S. - whatever) I bet I will be your top blog responder by the time your trip is over.
6th June 2008

That is so you...Rob
Hi there- I was in AZ briefly to drive my mom's car back with my sister in law and we drove back to MI never once taking a highway or expressway....saw so many amazing places off the beaten path so I am reliving your fun....except for one thing....I stayed at ONLY NEW HOLIDAY INN EXPRESSes. Met awesome people...what a way to experience American you two. Jen, Rob has told me about you and I am glad you two are together.....so Rob, tell momma, how together together are you two? The photo's are breathtaking....thanks for sharing them.

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb