Hells Canyon


Advertisement
North America
August 19th 2007
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our Captain Gabe CassellOur Captain Gabe CassellOur Captain Gabe Cassell

We were picked up on the dock at 7 a.m. by our Captain, Gabe Cassell and his crew of the Snake Dancer Excursions. Gabe is one of the most capable river captain we have met on our trip. He knows each inch of the river and where to place the boat at every moment. What a trip !
Hells Canyon runs along the borders of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon and begins just south of Clarkston, Washington on the famous Snake River. It is 3,000 feet higher than the highest place in the Grand Canyon! It is the deepest gorge in North America. At the bottom of this gorge is the wonderful and exciting Snake River. Along the canyon, many other rivers merge here including the famous Salmon River out of Idaho. From here the Snake river flows to the mighty Columbia River and then into the Pacific Ocean.

We are including many pictures in this particular blog as we go along the canyon and ride the rapids all the way up to the Hells Canyon dam , about 112 miles and then down again to Clarkston. It is an exciting trip and it takes all day. Lunch, snacks and plenty of drinks are included along the way. We made 4 stops for restroom breaks and walking tours along the way as well.

If you should want to take this trip we highly recommend calling Gabe Cassell at Snake Dancer Excursions in Clarkston, Washington. He is fabulous and he knows the river like no other! Read more about
Our boat filled with 17 of us !Our boat filled with 17 of us !Our boat filled with 17 of us !

We had a great trip on our 10 hour excursion up the Snake River to Hells Canyon Dam and back. The boat runs in 6 inches or less of water and has two chevrolet 350 engines.
Gabe under his picture in the blog.

We waited all summer to take this trip so travel along with us through the pictures. There is nothing we have done so far that tops this trip. We loved it. It was scenic and very exciting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Heading up the CanyonHeading up the Canyon
Heading up the Canyon

This canyon is 3,000 ft. higher than the highest point of the Grand Canyon. The basalt walls of the canyon look so stark and rugged.
The Basalt Cliffs of the CanyonThe Basalt Cliffs of the Canyon
The Basalt Cliffs of the Canyon

This canyon was formed about the same time as Mt. St. Helens and was formed by a volcanic eruption nearly 15 million years ago.
One of the many rapidsOne of the many rapids
One of the many rapids

This is just one of the many rapids going upriver to the Hells Canyon Dam. Knowing exactly where to place the boat between the rocks is critical. Whew ! Captain Gabe is good!
Another group of rapidsAnother group of rapids
Another group of rapids

Another set of rapids going upstream to the dam! We took a little water on this one. The wet trip will be the one back down the rapids on the way home!
Grand Ole GloryGrand Ole Glory
Grand Ole Glory

We stopped at this ranger station for a break and restroom stop. Coffee, juice and muffins were on the menu. Nice refreshing break.
Hells Canyon National Recreation AreaHells Canyon National Recreation Area
Hells Canyon National Recreation Area

This area is one of the most visited spots in the northwest. It was established as a National Recreation Area by Congress in December, 1975 and has over 215,000 acres of wilderness, with over 900 miles of trails for hiking and horseback riding. It has so much to offer the tourists. There is wonderful fishing here, white water rafting, jet boating the rapids, camping, boating, hiking, horseback riding, you name it, you find it here.
Lunch at the Kirkwood Historic RanchLunch at the Kirkwood Historic Ranch
Lunch at the Kirkwood Historic Ranch

This was a treat. Notice the mailbox nailed to the tree. The mailman still delivers the mail here by boat every Thursday and Saturday! This was a very interesting site!
Lunch under the old trees at the ranchLunch under the old trees at the ranch
Lunch under the old trees at the ranch

This site was filled with history. Old farming equipment from the 1800's and early 1900's along with a museum and ranger station. We ate a great lunch under the old trees to the rear. On the menu: Fried chicken, baked beans, pasta salad, veggies fresh and crisp, chips and relish.....hmmmm delicious! A great captain and he cooks too!
Call me and I'll be AroundCall me and I'll be Around
Call me and I'll be Around

Bill wanted Patti to call him on this phone from the early 1900's. I am certain it was one of the first phones invented and it was attached to a tree at the top of the path to the ranch. The earpiece is at my ear on a cord and the mouthpiece is on the wall of the phone. The box still locks into place when the door is closed.
Hells Canyon DamHells Canyon Dam
Hells Canyon Dam

And here we are half way through our journey! Hells Canyon Dam built in North America's deepest river gorge, encompasses a vast and remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain, climate and vegetation. Carved by the great Snake River, Hells canyon plunges more than a mile below Oregon's west rim, and 8,000 feet below snowcapped He Devil Peak of Idaho's Seven Devils Mountains. There are no roads across Hells Canyon's 10 mile wide expanse, and only three roads that lead to the Snake river between Hells Canyon Dam and the Oregon-Washington boundary.
Life Jackets and it's time to get wet!Life Jackets and it's time to get wet!
Life Jackets and it's time to get wet!

The trip up the river is dry and exciting but the trip down the rapids is always a wet one! They put the plastic windows in the boat to help keep us dry but the seats on the rear of the boat are for those who really came to get a bath! The tunnel behind the boat is the diversion tunnel that was built to divert the water of the river while the dam was being constructed.
The first dousing!The first dousing!
The first dousing!

And here we go, it's time to get really wet! Only those on the back of the boat were the ones who really got wet. If you don't want to get wet and you want great pictures, the place to sit is right next to the captain in the front of the boat!
Whitewater RaftingWhitewater Rafting
Whitewater Rafting

This can be terrifying but so exciting at the same time. We love this! A great way to see the river!


Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb