Miles and more Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 2nd 2017
Published: July 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

So this is the end of third day of driving! We have put over 1,400 miles on the truck and camper and butts!

We started the first leg of the trip with rain delays and added over an hour and a half to the trip by going 35 mph on the PA turnpike. We ended the night in Avon, Ohio at 2:03 am at a Cabela's. It was quiet and had a nice breeze for comfortable sleeping.

Up and on the road again by 7:30 am. We stopped at rest stops for gas and bathroom breaks. A quick detour into Sturgis, Michigan so we could add that sticker to out map and then to Chicago. Our destination for the day was outside of Chicago at the ball field for Bandits. The Chicago Bandits are a professional Fast pitch women's softball team. The girls each got to participate in the warms ups for the team. Jordan and Alexis were Bandits for the day, getting to shag balls and throw out the first pitch. Alexis also got an opportunity to hit during batting practice. Grace got to have a catch with one of the players for pregame. It was a local rec ball night so we got to sit right behind the dugout, but right in front of a group of unsupervised 10 year-olds. As you can see from our faces they were getting a little rowdy. At the end of the double header-which the Bandits won both - we stood in a long line which moved very quickly to get balls and mitts signed.

The plan was to go to a Cabela's 20 minutes west, but when we arrived, after the detour around the festival, it was posted NO OVERNIGHT GUESTS. So we headed West again towards Iowa. After some calls to Walmarts looking for a place to sleep and a stop for fuel in a shady town, we decided to trek into Wisconsin for the night. We drove 25 miles north to a Walmart in Monroe, Wisconsin. At 12:15 Alexis and Jody shopped for milk and softballs, as Alex set up the camper in the parking lot for the night. It was again quiet and cool and great sleeping.

The alarm went off at 6:30 so we could pull out by 8:00am. This allowed Alex to update the log and confirm the route for the day.This was the day Alex was most looking forward to. Into the truck again! Headed to Heaven - I mean Dyersville, Iowa - home of the Field Of Dreams ball field. After traveling one of Alex back dirt roads to get places, we arrived. At 10:15 Alex and the girls stepped onto the field for a catch. The family tried to disappear into the corn field. Bought a few souvenirs and got our big rig out before the parking lot filled up - and it was getting close.

After we stopped for a fast lunch in the camper at a truck stop, we headed to Austin, Minnesota. Home of the Hormel family - AKA - SPAM. Yes - they have a museum devoted to SPAM! Quote of the day from Alexis "This was more fun than I thought it was going to be." Alex, Jody, Alexis and Jordan checked out the exhibits, tested their SPAM knowledge, packed some SPAM and visited countries that SPAM has invaded. Grace played in the kids zone. By the way, Jody won the SPAM packing contest. You know we did not leave without souvenirs including a shot glass and some new flavors of SPAM to try.

INTO THE TRUCK AGAIN! 3 hours straight on interstate 90 to Mitchell, South Dakota, to sleep at a Cabela's again. We thought ahead and called to verify we could sleep there first. We pulled in at 10:15 used the dump station and parked. EARLY NIGHT.

Alexis asked what we were doing tomorrow? - Jody's quoted Brain from Animaniacs "What we do every day . . . Take over the world" but for us . . . ride in the truck some more. Our destination is one more day closer to the Pacific.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



4th July 2017

Making Memories
Wow! You are seeing and doing so much! Thanks for the great updates. I particularly like that the girls got to play ball with the team and you got to Field of Dreams. Love hearing about it all!
4th July 2017

SPAM
So how many flavors of SPAM did you buy?
5th July 2017

wow and yucky
Field of Dreams!! That is so Awesome! SPAM - are you kidding me? I'm gagging... I never really minded SPAM until youth group a few years ago - the aroma of SPAM and barf are forever stuck in my olfactory!!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb