Kayaking the Albion River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
April 16th 2017
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.6395, -99.8438

Word of advice before setting out on any kayak adventure on one of these rivers. It is always good to check the weather and even more importantly, the tide times. The incoming tide can be very strong and make for a real workout heading back. If the tide is going out, makes the return very easy but it you do not time it right, you could be pulling your kayak part of the way back!

Decided while the weather was sunny, we would kayak the Albion river. Got to the campground and they did not open until 9:00 a.m. so we went and checked out the Van Damme campground to see exactly what the campground looks like. This is an enormous campground but seems to be nice.

Got back to Albion Campground where we rent the kayaks and got everything set up for the kayaking. Because of the torrential rain some of the channels have changed and they have moved the kayaks away from the main dock. Because the tide was out, we had a very narrow channel to leave the boat launch but we were able to do so.

There were quite a few great blue herons about fishing
houseboat that is out in the riverhouseboat that is out in the riverhouseboat that is out in the river

appears that someone has been fixing it up in the time we have been coming to the Mendecino area
and watched as the gulls kept stealing their catch from them. Because it was still low tide the seals were high and dry on an area we can usually kayak through. There were some small ones with them and they did not seem in the least bit worried about us.

Kayaked on up the river and the same floating house was in the middle of the river and looked like there had been some improvements to the structure. Made it almost as far as we have been but the wind had started picking up and we ate our lunch and enjoyed watching the commorants before heading back. It was a real workout because we were paddling against the incoming tide as well as the wind. Did take time out from the paddling to enjoy a osprey in the tree above us.

Camped at Van Damme that night. Had dinner at Flow Restaurant in town and enjoyed the view and meal. The bartender had told a gentleman that came in to remember, no discussion of politics or religion. The guy was talking to us and then said to Robert, "your friend George Bush" and she fussed at him and so he left.

Enjoyed a final glass of wine at the beach at Van Damme before heading up to our campsite.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

naughty gullnaughty gull
naughty gull

there were some Great Blue Herons fishing along the river and the gull kept stealing their catch from them.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb