A Kid Friendly San Francisco Holiday!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
April 11th 2014
Published: April 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Vacationing with family can be a tricky task, especially if you end up in a city that is challenged for options of kiddy entertainment. Have no such fear if you are headed to San Francisco with kids in tow. SF, with its open green spaces, outdoor fun and novel museums is paradise for vacationing kids, and their parents! Here’s a pick of the top spots families should head for while in San Francisco

Pier 39 – Family style entertainment – that’s Pier 39 for you. Take a stroll, duck into a restaurant for a quick bite, catch a street performance while you are between shops and don’t miss the California sea lions that lounge around amusing visitors with their antics. These barking lively sea creatures are actually the biggest pull of this holiday spot. Once the kids have had their fill of fun with the sea lions, take them to the nearby Aquarium of the Bay. Make sure the kids don’t miss out on the touch tanks.

Cable Cars – Understandably, SF’s iconic cable cars, with the simulated thrill of gliding through the air are amongst the top tourist attractions of the city. It is the last manually operated cable car system in the world, and a large part of its 7 million annual travelers are tourists! Very popular with the younger lot, a cable car ride is a memorable experience with its climbs and descents on the city’s steep hills punctuated by the regular ringing of bells. Of the 3 remaining operational routes, a favorite is the Powell-Hyde line, the one that runs between the financial district and Aquatic Park. Hop on to it and give the kids a mini sight seeing tour since it crosses a number of places of kid-interest.

Golden Gate Park – Vacationing parents’ answer to harnessing kids’ high energy levels is a visit to Golden Gate Park. Open space for gardens, picnic points, trails, playgrounds and monuments where one can spend an action packed day or lie back and relax. There are also museums to keep culturally inclined offspring busy and lakes with pedal boats for adventure seeking kids. A must visit is the California Academy of Sciences which has been redone of late.

Alcatraz Island – Give the little ones a lesson in morality – book them a ticket to Alcatraz Island, the infamous former federal penitentiary. The trip to the island will in itself be an adventure, a boat ride to the formidable ‘Rock’. The tour is serious business, with the San Francisco tour & travel guide taking you through the cell block while regaling open mouthed and slightly jumpy kids with stories about notorious inmates.

San Francisco Zoo – Head to the SF Zoo if you are in a spot – every child loves the zoo. In its 80 year history, the San Francisco Zoo has managed to accumulate a remarkable collection of wildlife species. Add to the mix exhibits, interactive activities and learning programs and you have yourself a winning combination!

Exploratorium – Captivating exhibits that stir up the minds of little scientists and interactive installations make up the displays of this scientific funhouse. The objective of this science museum is to change the way the world learns. A prototype for participatory museums around the world, it is a must visit to broaden your child’s horizons.

AT&T Park – Ballgame at the AT&T Park is bound to excite the kids. One of the finest ballparks in the country, this one also gives stiff competition to others when it comes to food. So you are going to have a bunch of well entertained and well fed kids by the end of the AT&T Park experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb