Musher Mutts...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 21st 2012
Published: September 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Just spent the day in Juneau. Interesting little town but a little bland as it is the state capitol and as such there is a lot of administration type buildings and workplaces. To start the day there was low cloud and from the porthole we appeared fog bound. The cloud lifted by 10am and it turned into a magnificent day, blue skies, no wind, bright sun. Everyone, everywhere we go in Juneau tells us repeatedly and monotonously how this is the best day of the summer. Cheers Juneau!

Ship docked right alongside and it's only 5 minutes walk literally to the town centre, which is pleasant enough but a noticeable number of what Reuben calls 'hobos' displaying lack of self control with alcohol consumption and demonstrating a varied array of colorful language.

The waterfront, as it was in Skagway, is full of diamond and tanzanite (do not have a clue what it is) stores as well as Pandora beads other jewellery. Must find out why there are so many diamond merchants in the tourist spots in Alaska - sure there is a logical reason for it. At 10.15am we were back on the dock to meet our shore excursion,
Mutts and Muppets..Mutts and Muppets..Mutts and Muppets..

The kids with the lead dogs. Both really relaxed with all the dogs, many of whom were very vocal and very active.
a trip to a Mushers Camp. There was about 18 in the group and nice bunch of people. About a 20 minute drive up to the camp itself through the Tongass National Park which covers 17,000,000 acres. It is the largest coastal rain forest in North America. The forest is beautiful.

One advantage to the excursions is at least you get out of the town /city centres traveling to and from them so get a little taste of the region or slightly wider area. We knew we were close to the Musher camp when we started hearing the dogs nutting off. Just this noise emanating from deep within the woods. The camp is a clearing in the heart of the forest where they have built some log shelters, a raised walkway with a small suspension bridge amongst the trees over an idyllic little river with the sun light filtering through a canopy of many shades of green (which bears absolutely no relationship to shades of grey). Apart from the dogs, and the flow of the river it was silent.

Our main host was 'Shy Girl'. She isn't. She is an 11 year old sled dog and just an
Skyline above JuneauSkyline above JuneauSkyline above Juneau

Just showing blue skies really...
advert for dogs. Docile, friendly, intelligent and a fine looking dog. We got a bit of a spiel on the Iditarod (probably spelt wrong - but its a blog. Remember!) its history and how it works. 1,000 miles across the snow and ice with a sled and 16 dogs sounds an amazing challenge and a race clearly invented by a hen pecked husband for those of a similar disposition. I have an enrollment form. Now Camo needs 15 harness mates.

Interesting to note, at the expense of misleading advertising which I succumbed to, is that sled dogs are NOT Huskies. Nope, this is the domain of mutts and mongrels of certain breed lines. Those dogs with a working temperament, not prone to biting children, of a good size and strength and able to play nicely with others. The list was not exhaustive but did rule out Pekinese, Bijon Friis (are they really dogs or a new species of hamster), German Shepherds and funnily enough no Welsh Springer Spaniels.

Did a mile run through the forest in a glorified golf cart towed by a team of dogs and it was really interesting to watch how the dogs worked as a unit and how certain dogs called the shots that others followed and of course there was the one class clown who always had something to say. Then the kids had a play with a bunch of sled dog puppies, all very cute and the kids loved it.

Then we drove back to Juneau and the dock. Our bus driver was from somewhere in the Lower 48 and a very small community where too many of the folk were related too closely. She told the most outrageous stories and even Reuben would nudge me and mouth 'really?'. But our fellow guests enjoyed her harmless banter, so, as I always say, 'live and let live'. Okay I never say that nor do I actually believe it.

Wandered the streets of Juneau and joy of joys stood outside the Governors Mansion on the slopes of Juneau. If your sensing sarcasm your right. Sandy's idea. Nothing to see and boring as hell. Kids loved it. Read 'Tuis advert' right about now. Found the memorial to Patsy Anne or Patsy Sue, a deaf Pit Bull that had this uncanny sense of knowing when ships were approaching and would race to the dock
Docked at Juneau...Docked at Juneau...Docked at Juneau...

...lined up at the rail just watching the world go by. Small boats and charter sea planes coming and going...
to meet them. May have been she was just trying really hard to beg a ride out of town as it must be miserable in winter. We said a 'woof' to the memory of this fine canine.

Back aboard and away around 6pm. Good day all in all. Pretty relaxed and great to do something different. Only comment I would make about the Musher camp is that it was overpriced, maybe 40% for what it was. But what the hell couldn't do it at home. Kids insisted on going to kids club again tonight so Sandy and I went and had a grown ups meal in the formal dining room. It was good but kinda missed the kids throwing food, spilling drinks and wiping greasy fingers over their clothes. The simple pleasures!

Juneau was interesting. Just from the perspective of how many times do you get the opportunity to just look around a town in Alaska. Can't be bad and an experience the kids will value more when they are older and look back on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Taking a sneaky peek...Taking a sneaky peek...
Taking a sneaky peek...

...just checking out the surrounding mountains. Sometimes mountain goats can be seen on the slopes...
Charter flights...Charter flights...
Charter flights...

...a regular form of transport is small charter flights. Many of the towns are not accessible by road so the locals rely on ships and these small planes.
The landslide view at Juneau at dock...The landslide view at Juneau at dock...
The landslide view at Juneau at dock...

...tourist shops set up primarily for the cruise ship passengers dollars....same shops, same t-shirts at each port of call. Big advantage was we were the last cruise of the year so everything marked down heaps...


23rd September 2012
Family and some dog.

Smiles
Good Effort Sandra, but Caitlin wins again
24th September 2012
Family and some dog.

Richard- thanks for your feedback....I will try to do better!! Caitlin will always have the winning smile....

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb