Rihla #29


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 21st 2012
Published: May 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Amnesty International is a worldwide movement that helps fight wrongdoings toward people and helps protect their human rights. They help deal with issues such as prisoners, poverty, the death penalty, refugees, etc. One of the major issues I found was about marriage equality being a human right instead of a state right. The article states that Obama is the first U.S. president to favor marriage equality. The article also states that marriage equality is not only a right, but it affects many other aspects of life. It affects access to health care, which can affect medical situations pertaining to one’s life. With the president supporting marriage equality, it will lead to other positive human rights changes in other countries for LGBT people.

My findings relate to Human Rights because people should have the freedom to love whomever they want, given that they are the appropriate age for each other. Love is supposed to be blind, but that can’t be true if the law doesn’t let you be with the one you love. When I first read this article I was glad that a change was being made because I am a supporter of LGBT rights. However, after a little time had passed I began thinking, “Why was there a change now? Why couldn’t there have been change years ago?” I was also thinking, “Why is this a big issue? Why cant people marry others of the same sex?” In fact change has just broken through to the U.S.; there was no global impact yet. What will the next step be?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb