Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 24th 2006
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Once again we managed to stay off the interstates. Saw lots of farm land (looked like mostly corn coming up) and small towns.

From Decatur, IL, we headed north on US 51 to Clinton and then NE on IL 54 to Gilman where we picked up US 24 east which delivered us into Indiana.

Stopped at a B&K Root Beer stand in Logansport, Indiana, apparently part of a “local” chain. The unisex restroom was behind a really shabby looking door, but inside the tiny room was neat and clean and wallpapered in a big flowery pattern.

Continued on US 24 to Huntington, IN (apparently the boyhood home of Dan Quayle) where we switched to US 224 which took us through Decatur, IN and into Ohio.

We’d planned to stay on US 224 but decided we needed to make a little more progress today so took US 30 at Van Wert. In this part of Ohio, US 30, the Lincoln Highway, is divided (or will be soon) with some limited access. It was the first transcontinental highway in the US.

Nearing the end of today’s traveling, we turned north on US 42 and stopped for gas in Mansfield, OH. While filling up, we noticed Donna's Pizza Subs & Ice Cream stand next door so we got medium-sized choco-vanilla twist cones for $1.25 a piece. You know that made us smile.

As we drive along, we've been reading the book, "American Pie: Slices of Life (and Pie) from America's Back Roads" by Pascale Le Draoulec. Inspired me to trying baking pies again and both of us to come up with our own excuse (or what Ms. Le Draoulec calls "grail") for another road trip.

Finally, we stopped for the night about 10 miles north at the same motel in Ashland where we stayed with Martha and John when they helped us move back to NY.






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Decatur, IndianaDecatur, Indiana
Decatur, Indiana

I'm gonna try this next time I see some.


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb