Some sketches of a funny country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
June 17th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well then, hasn't it been a long tine between thinks my far flung friends? This one may be a big one, we will see.. The last you heard I was in Austin, Texas, having an unusually quiet night of it and getting all up in the written word's space.. Well, I'm at it again, and here is my true account..
So, Austin. Oh austin. The city is an absolute dream, a wonderland for the untexan Texans.. the artistic, weird, gunhating, tattoo toting loose cabooses. It's a rambling chorus of trendy geniouses who treat eahother with respect and care and sometimes sweeeet lovin'. As it happened tony and I both fell head over heels with Austin girls, who I may refer to later. And on the actual scenery, it is strangely a sort of tropical paradise there, lots of green and rolling hills and a big open river that people swim in (often nudie).. Just beautiful. And also, aquired: one pair killer heeled stiched cowboy boots. Giddy up!
So Austin rocked, dig it?
I fear that this narrative may become filled with too many positive adjectives, because of all places new Orleans came next. Amazing amazing jazz of course.. an unbelieveable pungent, heady cloud of brilliant atmosphere keeping the city blurred to it's obvious problems.. They are doing well for themselves down there though, right on. We met a 60 year old jazzman named 'dixie' who took a shine, his girl is from Darwin apparently.. So he hung out with us for a few days and endured with charm the drunkest, most disturbing, fececious little asshole I've ever met.. Good one Anthony wignall. 
Nyawleans ruled for a few days.. But as our namesake implies, we headed out, we are travellers, not stayers after all. Memphis happened next.. A beautiful mess of seriously poor black culture and unbelieveable music history. Went to graceland and nick gave Elvis' grave the old one finger salute. 
Also jammed with two old oklahomians and endured a severalhour lecture on women, politics, and guns. He was a funny old fella, and stoned to the bone too.
Vamos, valez, come on.. Splurging words on iPhones is disarming for a narrating ninja like myself. Hnmmmm
Nashville! Up yours! A self interested, no soul gloaty shiny fake old place where musicians come to cry. Nashville anthopomorphised would be the 'older elvis'.. Or a graceful poodle dyed pink and paraded in front of fools.. A beautiful premise and foundation but a city leeched of love. No matter, we moved again to find very green pastures. The pasture in question is north Carolina, and we bunked in a little town called Asheville.. Simply a beautiul little place with liberal young thinkers helping to retain a collective soul of passionate freedom and choice. 

Woah!!!!!
Bullshit alarm, apologies readers, getting a bit profundent even for me. Did I make that word up?

Okay 😊 so there is a funny Asheville story, which culminates in us being handuffed by police, giggling and fearful simultaneously, getting lectured by a peacocking copper prick about fireworks, municipal property, and smashed whickey bottles.. But mother would not approve of that story.

North we continued. all the time, remember, we are camping and cooking and singing and remeniscing and its antonymn, roaming and building fires and spitting and poking things with sticks and sleeping rough and smelling funny and listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.
Most of that ceased in Washington D.C but we made a fascinating time of it. We decided that, since time was apparently against us we would do all the sights on the first night and drive out next afternoon. This we did, but in the spirit of things had enough of old mate to render a small African nation drunk for days.. But in our lewdness managed to meet a guy and girl who were charmed by our strange words and dance moves, and the guy (who has apparently never been drunk) proceeds to drive us around for 2 hours in his obviusly inheritance fueled v8 convertible mustang, telling us many a secret about the governmnts computing and hacking deparent.. He was some hotshot whizkid savant blah blah..

Oopooookieees then. A simple litle drive up through a few other places happened, not alot to tell really.. We went to a town called Intercourse filled with Amish folk.. They seemed happy enough about it all too. 
Now. New York. This is where I have been tethered for nigh on 3 weeks now, and I'm only one more abstract subway adventure away from calling it full blown love. Every day here is a full day.. The city comes up with more and more, offers you amazing times floating through central park busking, playing shuffleboard while a string of 7 horn players all compete for the most applause, sexy people strut for their lives and country, and and and.. Well, mercy. It's one hell of a town, and describing my day to day is too much.. One notable week, though, involved beautiful Texan girl visiting her hunky Aussie man for boat rides, gugenheiming, strolling and so on, ruined by the inevitable tendency of real life to come rushing back. Bleh.
So then here I am meeting sound engineers, writing music with a Frenchman I met in new orleans, shuffling around with a grin and some gin and making sense of all the world by witnessing a microcosm function in alarming, chaotic, disjoined but perfect harmony. It's what it's all about, and so on and so on and so on. 

And so, on the 29th I fly on down to Mexico and re-emerge, and breach the surface of an ocean of culture i have not yet encountered with my dear pal Erin. I'm as excited as excited gets, life is one hell of a good ride for this boy and well, post Mexico and Canada I suppose I will get back and get my thing on in a more stay at home kinda way. Til then buckaroos and lafayettes, stay tuned for more adventures of this wandering, wondering, wooly little journyman.. There is always more.
Love you all!! Peace peace peace, and so on!!!
Lockie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb