Washington DC, The Capital!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 13th 2009
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Washignton DC and our first few nights camping, 31st September - 2nd October

An early start was required with a full day planned ahead. First stop was the Washington Monument, about a 15 minutes (or in our case a 10 miute run) as running a little late! However we got there in time for the 9am tour. Security were not too impressed with Doddys attempts at a joke of us having to line up against a wall (like an ID parade) and then straight to the top. The views were really impressive, especially as it was such a nice day. Next was the White House where we both decided we could both quite happily live and are pretty sure we saw Obamas dog in the garden!

From there we walked along the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial where Doddy decided to do a handstand at the top of the steps. We walked across a big bridge (over 700 steps as counted for by Doddy) to see Arlington Cemetery to see John F. Kennedy's grave. After lunch we checked out the Vietnam and Korean war memorials before strolling, with slightly weary legs, to the Jefferson war memorial.

As time was getting on we decided to skip a close up visit to the Capitol Building, but we could still see it from about 200 metres away. We walked back to the jeep and decided to get out of Washington before rush hour (didn't manage it!) to get to our first camp ground, Fredericksburg, Virginia. We stopped briefly at Walmart and took in the sights of the array of guns for sale, pet fish in plastic bags and the larger clientele that shop there.

We arrived at the campsite just before dark, got our fire going and cooked some tea and realised that no matter where you are, you're never too far from some Brits, who were camped only a few pitches down from us. After a quick chat with them we headed to bed for our first night under the stars. We awoke the next morning after a slightly chilly night and had been given some starter logs from the couple opposite for our next fire. Prior to leaving we checked the car delivery list which was looking sketchy as there were no cars going West, but continued our way towards North Carolina to deliver the jeep.

We were definately starting to find the driving a lot easier now. This time we managed to get to the next campsite before dark, setting up our tent in daylight. We had a friendly call from our neighbours soon after our arrival "if you're feeling social come on over to say hello!" We put the tent up and went over. They made Doddy a cup of tea and after I explained I didn't like tea or coffee was promptly offered a glass of red wine - brilliant! And that was how we met James and Barb. James and Barb were a couple in their early 60's who were making their way from Canada around the States, catching up with some friends on their way. After tea from nearby Enfield we spent the est of the evening next to the camp fire chatting to James and Barb (what a lovely couple).

Next morning after a great nights sleep (thanks wine!) Doddy and I chatted about our next move. It was proving difficualt to find another delivery car so after some deliberation and looking at other alternatives we decided upon a hire car. James and Barb were awake and there to provide to our breakfast needs and even went as far to make us sandwiches.

Farewells to James and Barb and we were back on the road heading to Durham to deliver the jeep that afternoon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb