Biking Mississippi's Longleaf Trace


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
January 7th 2009
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Longleaf Trace


BIKING MISSISSIPPI’S LONGLEAF TRACE





Number of times we have biked this trail: Three times

The Basics:

Location: Southeast Mississippi
Distance: 71 kilometres (44 miles)
Trail Surface: paved
Width: 3-5 metres (10 feet)
Access & Parking: Trailheads and towns in between
Trail Head: Hattiesburg and Prentiss
Washrooms: at trailheads and access areas in towns
Towns on/near trail: Carson, Bassfield, Prentiss, Sumrall and Hattiesburg.
Water: at each washroom in the towns
Signage: Excellent (and kilometres too!)
Rest areas: 6 stations with washrooms and benches and lookouts and 2 rain stops!
Garbage disposal: at each station
Points of Interest: Many
Other: separate equestrian trail from Carson to Epley
Bicycle rentals at Hattiesburg station





My wife and I “discovered” the Longleaf Trace in 2007 when we were camped near Prentiss. At that time we did just a short portion and determined that we would return. It took two years but in 2009 we returned. This time we camped just north of Hattiesburg at Shady Cove RV Park about 8 km on highway 49 (For campers we would recommend it)





The Longleaf Trace is Mississippi’s first Rails to Trails bike path and a real gem! In 2004 it designated as a National Recreational Trail by the federal government. The asphalt trail is 3-5 metres wide and runs for a distance of 65 kilometres (40 miles) from Hattiesburg in the south to Prentiss in the north-west.





The trail is open to walkers, runners, skaters, bikers, electric vehicles.
From Carson to Epley there is a separate 37 km (23 miles) equestrian trail runs parallel to the Trace.





Towns along the way are Carson, Bassfield, Prentiss, Sumrall and Hattiesburg.



There are 6 restroom stations.
Water fountains are available but no tap to fill a water bottle.
There are also a number of observation areas with benches and a couple of “rain stops” near Hattiesburg.

With the exception of the towns, the road crossings are few or very little used/abandoned roads.



Starting from Hattiesburg Gateway, the ELEVATION is 62 metres (205 feet.)
Jackson Road Station is 85 metres
Clyde depot is 103 m
Epley Station is 118 m
Sumrall is 88 m
Lott Circle is 134 m
Bassfield is 143 m
Carson is 158 m (519 feet)
Ed Parkman Road is 104 m and
Prentiss Gateway is 100 metres.



One nice thing for non-Americans is that the mile posts are also marked with kilometres - and are accurate.



The Hattiesburg Station has a bicycle rental building incorporated and many other services. If you do not need services, a better place to park and start from in the south would be Jackson Road Station at around km 7. There is lots of parking available in a rural setting, with washrooms, water, benches and a playground.



When you start from Jackson station or Hattiesburg many of the trees are named with big signs so if you are not familiar with Loblolly pine, or Magnolia or Pecan this is a good chance to identify them and many others.

Like most rails to trails paths, this one runs mostly through rural countryside and only from time to time do you glimpse homes. For the most part, the trail is shaded by large trees.



Form Sumrall to Bassfield, the trail opens up a bit and you can see livestock and hayfields. This portion also includes the longest climb. South of Prentiss damage from Hurricane Katrina can still be seen.





In 2009 we biked the Trace, each time starting at Jackson Station. On the last day, I accomplished what I had been trying to do for a few years. I finally biked 100 kilometres in one go.

In 2010 I did the Trace one way, starting in Prentiss and ending up at Jackson Station in Hattiesburg for about 60 km. On both trips, it was very hot and VERY humid.

We would recommend The Longleaf Trace very highly and of the roughly 100 rails to trails that we have biked, this one would rate in the top 10. It has pretty well everything you would want in a rails to trails path.



Trail information
www.longleaftrace.org

Gateway Manager: (601) 450-7245
Trail Manager: (601) 450-2453



Camping
Shady Cove RV Park:
7836 Highway 49 North
Phone 1-877-251-8169

https://shady-cove-rv-park.business.site/






More photos below .....




Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Longleaf TraceLongleaf Trace
Longleaf Trace

A souvenir from Hurrican Katrina
Longleaf TraceLongleaf Trace
Longleaf Trace

In Prentiss
Longleaf TraceLongleaf Trace
Longleaf Trace

near Prentiss


Tot: 0.399s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb