Just the FAQs--Volume 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 21st 2008
Published: May 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

So Many QuestionsSo Many QuestionsSo Many Questions

Keep them coming

This is the first post to answer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) . Due to the detailed nature of my responses, I have elected to break the FAQs down into a series of volumes. This will keep you from the agony of reading an extensively long update. Stay tuned for future volumes. I will answer as many of your questions before we depart on 6 June 2008.

In the last 3 months since Lynne and I announced our plans to travel the world, we have fielded many questions about this great adventure. Some of these questions were of genuine concern for our safety, some were out of shear curiosity and others were to learn more about how we would be able to pull off a trip of this magnitude.

Questions have come to us in a variety of means. Many of them have been through face to face conversations as we discuss this adventure with friends, new acquaintances, and family. Others have come to us through messages on the blog and e-mail.

If we fail to address your specific questions in this update, no worries. Just remind us about your questions and we will be sure to answer them in “Just the FAQs—Volume 2”

The answers provided below are based on personal travel experiences, extensive research on the internet, travel guides and reading countless independent travel stories. We have learned from people who have made mistakes along the way on their own journeys. Our intend is to go into this trip armed with as much knowledge and pre-planning so we can avoid the pitfalls experienced by ourselves and others.

By far, the most frequently asked questions evolve around safety and security. People have asked: “Is it safe out there?”; “What about Terrorism?”; What about civil unrest like what recently happened after you returned from Kenya?”; “What about crime?”; “Aren’t you afraid of being kidnapped?”; What about natural disasters like typhoons, Tsunamis, earthquakes etc?”; “What will you do if something happens to you?” “What happens if someone steals your backpacks?”; “What happens if someone steals your passports?”

Let me begin by addressing the terrorism threat first. Since 9/11, international terrorism has been pushed to the forefront and Americans certainly are a target in overseas locations. Terrorism is nothing new to the civilized world. I can recall my first trip to Athens, Greece in 1986. Prior to my departure, I received a detailed terrorism threat assessment about Greece. This was my first real exposure to terrorism and had me quite concerned. Upon landing in Athens, I had asked my host and good friend, Bob Prichard, about the terrorism. His response was straight and to the point. I remember his words to this day. He said “John, the threat of terrorism is real. You need to be aware of your surroundings and have good situational awareness, but you can’t let the threat restrict your freedom to the point of being miserable.” I have carried this lesson with me for well over 20 years. Lynne and I have had personal protection and anti-terrism awareness training.


Civil unrest is certainly something we will pay close attention to during our travels. Lynne and I can rely our on own personal experience. Last year, we traveled to Kenya for a 14-day safari vacation. Upon our return home, we highly recommended the trip to everyone. Three short weeks later, the entire country was in the grips of civil unrest due to dissatisfaction with the outcome of the Presidential elections. People were rioting, burning homes, and slaughtering people on the streets with machetes. This is a classic example of just how quick any situation can change as we travel. Rest assured that we will keep a keen eye on the news and US State Department travel advisories. When the situation dictates, we will pull up stakes and move to safe ground.

Violent crime exists anywhere in the world. In many parts of the world, these crimes are miniscule compared to right here in America. Just pick up a newspaper or tune in to the evening news. I know you will find multiple counts of violent crime on any given day. Again, situational awareness is a key to survival on the road. Another lesson I learned years ago is to act confident, but not cocky, in your current surroundings. If you look and act vulnerable, you will become more vulnerable to criminals. All of our guidebooks have sections dedicated to “Dangers and Avoidances”. They give you areas to avoid and why you should avoid these areas. In most parts of the world, theft is the biggest concern.

Kidnappings are extremely rare and typically associated in the troubled areas we will be avoiding. Again, if we look and act like a target we will become one. Situational awareness and current news on local tensions will be our guiding principle.

Natural disasters occur around the world on a regular basis. Just look at the devastation created by the great Christmas Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, the latest earthquake in China, wildfires in California, and Tornadoes in the Midwest. Last I checked, none of us can control exactly when and where these tragic events will occur. Many natural disasters are unpredictable and occur with little or no notice. As we travel, we will be aware of potential natural disasters, but can not allow the fear of these prevent us from enjoying the adventure. If we happen to get caught up in any natural disaster, we will contact family first then get an update to this blog posted as soon as possible to let everyone know our status. In an emergency, Lynne’s sister will update the blog in the event we can only get a phone call out and are unable to update it ourselves.

Many of you have expressed concern about “something happening” to us. Again, we appreciate this concern. The fact of the matter is that we fully expect “something” to happen along the way. We certainly hope this “something” will not be tragic or life-threatening, but the possibility is always there. This is no different than at home. We all run the risk of “something” happening to us on a daily basis. We are not throwing caution to the wind. We have conducted extensive amount of research on this matter and are prepared to respond as necessary.

Theft is a concern anywhere in the world, I have read stories of travelers losing their backpacks. We will remain vigilant of potential risks as we travel. We will not leave them laying around unsecured, unattended or ask strangers to watch over them. When we travel on overnight trains, the packs will be secured by cable to a post or rail. This minimizes someone snatching it when the train pulls into a station. Trust me, all of our possessions will be in those backs. We will guard them to the best of our abilities. If, one of them is stolen, our traveler’s insurance will cover most of the loss. Nonetheless, it will be a major inconvenience, but will not destroy or trip.

Loss of a passport is certainly a significant deal while traveling abroad. It happens every day. We will always carry copies of our passports and critical documents. If this does occur, it will become a major inconvenience, but will not be a show stopper. We may need to modify travel plans and itineraries, but countless people have experienced this before us and have gone on to enjoy the remaining of their trip.

Lynne means everything in the world to me. I would never put her in danger or risk her health, safety or security. I hope I do not leave you with the thought that we are minimizing potential dangers out there. The risks are all around us and we are aware of many of these dangers. We will continue to learn about these risks as we travel.


The second most fielded questions were dealing with our health and well being. You have asked questions like: “Aren’t you afraid of getting sick by eating food in strange lands?”; “What happens if you have a medical emergency?”; “Do you have any medical insurance?”; “What happens if you get injured?”; Aren’t you afraid of catching some disease out there?”; “What kind of shots do you need?”; “What about malaria?” Great questions!

Lynne and I are taking our health concerns very seriously. We have taken necessary precautions already and will continue to practice a great deal of common sense during our travels. Food poisoning is certainly an issue anywhere you eat prepared foods. Contamination of food and water is also a major concern.

Let me address water safety first. Bottled water is available in most of the far reaches of the world today. The key for us is to always check the seal on the bottle. Some street vendors, in third world countries, have been known to recycle water bottles, fill them up with tap water and sell them to tourist. Again, situational awareness is the key. For clear tap water, I have Nalgene water bottles and will be using a Stripen which uses ultraviolet light to sanitize water. I’ll be writing more about this in a later post. We will be avoiding ice at all costs—this will reduce the risk of consuming contaminated water in the form of ice.

Food safety boils down to awareness. Fortunately, I have a pretty good background and knowledge of food safety, but the danger always exists. A guiding principle will be to only eat whole fruits and vegetables with a hard skin that can be peeled. This includes, oranges, bananas, etc… We will avoid fresh salads unless we purchase them from a market and clean it ourselves. We will avoid any raw foods and keeping an eye on preparation and cooking methods. To be quite frank, we actually expect to get sick from food at least once during the trip. We have taken necessary precautions by getting appropriate medications in the event this does occur. I have also included re-hydration salts in the medical kit in the event that diarrhea and vomiting reach the point of mild to moderate dehydration. Naturally, we will seek medical attention if required.

Medical emergencies are always a possibility when traveling for an extended period. Fortunately, Lynne has a pretty extensive medical background. I also have emergency first responder and self-aid buddy care training so I can respond to initial care. Medical care is available world-wide—it just not be to the standard we are accustomed to. Lynne and I expect to encounter some minor injuries and ailments along the way, but have also planned for any other incidents. Lynne and I will also be carrying a travel medical kit to handle our minor medical emergencies. I will include the contents of this kit when I post our final packing list.

We will be carrying significant amount of travel and medical insurance. We are still conducting our final research on the travel insurance and will firm up our final selection within the next week. There is such a wide variety of coverage available and we need to find the one that best suits our needs.

Lynne and I have received all of the vaccinations we will need to travel around the world. Fortunately, I am still current with many from my active duty military days. Lynne also received many before we went to Kuwait. If you desire to research vaccination requirements for your personal travel, please consult the Center for Disease Control website for specific guidance.

We have received our malaria medication and will be taking it prior to our anticipated countries where this is and issue.

Believe it or Not—No quotes, lyrics or words of wisdom to close this post out.

Stay tuned for: Just the FAQs Volume 2 and keep those questions coming.







Advertisement



21st May 2008

What about the monkey? Will he be vaccinated as well?
21st May 2008

Monkey Shots
Yes, Marco will receive his shots as well. I can finally post one of your comments here. I see you are a daughter of a PITA Warrior. Is that like PITA bread? You bozo, I think you meant PETA. Talk to ya soon
21st May 2008

I was Never worried
As far as you both go, I wasn't worried but I had been worried about little Marco. I know some folks think he would be quit the tasty meal. So please please watch out for him....then he want watch out for you both. I love the both of you and will hopefully meet Marco one of these days. Don't forget, $$ is only a call and a wire away -- depending on where you are.
22nd May 2008

Thanks
Kathi, We will take care of Marco and make sure no one makes a snack out of him. Thanks for the offer of the $$. Heck, you gave me a brilliant idea. Maybe we can get sponsorship to finance this trip. That would keep Lynne from having to work in sweat shops along the way. Hehe.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb