East and West


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 14th 2023
Published: August 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Thirty days to add to my knowledge of the States, starts with an Iberia flight from Madrid Barajas to JFK. There to meet me is my great friend from school, who has spent over thirty years on the east coast, and has gathered a wife, three kids, and two dogs along the way. They currently reside in the prosperous Jersey town of Haddonfield, over the Delaware River from Philadelphia. Famous for discovery of the world's first intact dinosaur fossil, Hadrosarus foulkii, photos of Bruce Springsteen used on the album Darkness on the Edge of Town, and it was the home to the fictional Harry of When Harry met Sally. Manicured gardens, nice cars in the driveways, some flags suggesting a bit of support for a man named Trump, the current drug and homelesness affecting much of the U.S. seem far away. Trips to diners, craft beer breweries and the most amazing supermarkets follow, as I settle into suburban life in New Jersey.

A big baseball fan, I am brought for a few beers in Irish bars in downtown Philidelphia, before heading to the Citizens Bank Park to watch my beloved Phillies fall to Washington , by a score of two to one. The baseball stadium is next to the American football stadium, home to the Eagles, shared with the local soccer team , Philadephia Union. Plenty of beers, piizza but only one run for my team in nine innings.Great drone fireworks follow, as we are in the lead into the 4th of July.

On Saturday we travel to the other side of Philadelphia for a barbeque in the house of my old friend from primary school, Tom Ivory. Get to meet his wife and family, and a few neighbours in a funky suburb of the city. We sort the world out over beers and ribs, had not seen Tom in forty years, but we had survived boarding school together, so the bond is always there.

Next day visit the Rocky steps, and the highly impressive City art gallery at the top of the steps. A stop of in McGillin's Olde Ale House involves an encounter with a very drunk tatto artist, and his equally inebriated friend. We made our excuses and ran.

Monday involves a trip to Newark Airport, with very entertaining driving from Ronan's wife Amy, as mother and daughter are heading to Ireland on a soccer trip. This leaves Ronan, his two sons, and myself home alone.

Nearly shot on the 4th of July. Head to Camden, New Jersey for a free concert by a group from our youth, UB40 to be followed by some fireworks. We relised that there has been a split so now two UB40's, but recognised the lead singer Ali Campbell. Someone suggested they should now call themselves UB20. Upon leaving the fireworks a multitude of people rang towards us knocking over some people , including a mother and child. Ronan thought it was a flash mob, but we later learned there had been a shooting and we were walking towards. Camden turned a bit scarey, and we were pleased to Uber the hell out of there back to the safety of Haddonfield.

The next day we visited the incredible East State Penitentiary, once home to Al Capone. In business from 1829 till 1971, now a museum, the jail emphasized principles of reform rather than punishment, and refined the revoluntionary system of separate incarceration, and is well worth a visit. The compulsory photo withthe Rocky statue, and a visit to the quaint suburb of Chestnut Hill followed. We closed the day with an appointment in Pat's King of Steaks , for the world famous Philly Cheesesteak, a thing of wonder.

First leg of trip completed, west coast here we come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb