Fishing Bridge to Canyon Village


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

6 Jul 2016: I think the road from the Fishing Bridge to Canyon Village is the most interesting route we have traveled during our stay here. The bridge is called fishing bridge because prior to 1973 visitors would stand elbow to elbow during the cutthroat spawning runs to catch them. The National Park Service prohibited fishing from the bridge in that year to help replenish the species and they must be released if caught. One of the mayor threats to the species is the Lake Trout, a fish introduced into Yellowstone Lake. We are informed that a single Lake Trout can consume 41 Cutthroat Trout per year. Any Lake Trout caught must be killed.

Proceeding North we next came to two features; first the Mud Volcano and then Sulfur Caldron. The Mud Volcano was on the left and consisted of a small geyser field with a boiling geyser at one end. The boiling liquid had the appearance of plaster. It was very hot. Just a little further on and on the right was the Sulfur Caldron. This was a series of depressions with Sulfur bearing liquids bubbling at the surface. That the content of these geysers was toxic was proven by the bare ground and dead trees in the vicinity. Nevertheless, as at Mammoth Hot Springs, those little Thermoacidophiles thrive here.
Continuing North and paralleling the Yellowstone River we saw the LeHardy Rapids, a several hundred yard section of class 2 rapids. It presents a very picturesque scene typical of the Park.
Now we entered the Hayden Valley. Once an ancient lake and now a shallow valley loaded with grasses and sedges. During our travels we always spotted solitary Bison bulls grazing and resting in this beautiful green valley. As we watched one such beast, we saw that he was sharpening his horns on an Aspen tree. AHA, we exclaimed! That explains all of the bare marks on trees around here. Bison rubs, about 3-4 feet up on the trunks of trees attest to their proclivity to use them to sharpen their horns. Several creeks such as Elk Antler, Alum, Otter cut through the valley running perpendicular to the Yellowstone River. This creates an excellent wetland appealing to num erous species of waterfowl, prominent among them are flocks of Canadian Geese.
We now arrive at the dramatic conclusion of our drive; the upper and lower Yellowstone Falls. The upper falls are a 109 ft drop while the lower falls have a 308 ft drop. For most of our stay, I confused the upper falls with the longest drop. The whole area is covered with vantage points from which to view the waterfalls, both close to the brink as well as from a distance. Roads parallel the river all along what is called The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. One such viewpoint was the brink of the upper falls. I hiked the e/8 mile trail with a 60o ft drop while Jeanne waited in the car. The overlook is right where the water rolls over the brink. AMAZING! The hike back up reminded me that I forgot to bring my trekking pole. I also forgot the bear spray but there were enough visitors that I was rarely alone, and then for only a short period of time. Apparently I was gone longer than Jeanne thought it would take for she was relieved to see me appear at the trailhead. Whenever I got tired, I sat on a log or rock until I caught my breath.
Canyon Village has a lodge, restaurant, cafeteria, gift shop and an outdoor store. While in the outdoor store I asked why we hadn'T seen anyone fishing. The answer was that with the exception of the Lamar Valley, fishing didn'T begin until July 15th. So I won'T be able to wet a line before we have to leave.
It took us all day to cover the 16 miles from Fishing Bridge to Canyon Village

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb