Yellowstone National Park Part 1, Wyoming, USA


Advertisement
Published: September 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today I was really excited because I was going to Yellowstone National Park. I learned about Yellowstone from Reading Plus at school. It was a short drive. On the way we saw some deer. The first place we stopped was Old Faithful. It was not too faithful because it was a little late. It spurted water a little then back down, then spurting water a little and then back down. We walked around the whole entire are of geysers. We saw a lot of geysers with some cool names like Heart Geyser, Emerald Geyser, Spasmatic and lots of others. My dad's favorite one was morning glory which was the furthest. I liked the colors. Then we went to a short walk around other geysers and a colorful pool.

__________________________________________________________________________________________



__________________________________________________________________________________________

Then we hiked up a mountain the Grand Prismatic pool thingy majiggy. In the parking lot we saw a humongous raven and I took a picture near it. They are so cool. Vitor and I really like the hike because it was easy and had a beautiful view. It was also cool because there were lots of logs that you can chillax (that is a mix of chill and relax). Then we went down to the Grand Prismatic close up. It was not as good because you could not see the colors as much as you can see them on the mountain. My favorite part of it was that there was a lot of smoke and fog that made you feel warm. When we were looking at it looked like a big pile of fog. It had a weird smell.

This was the third day in a row with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. They were horrible as I am not a big fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I ate them since the crazy person I was with made me eat them....the crazy person is my dad.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When we got to the campsite, it was our first night of camping, so I was really excited. Vitor made some beans and steak. And after that of course we had smores. We had two tents, Vitor had his own small one and I slept with my dad in a really big one. It was really cold at night and in the morning.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________




Daddy's Comments:

Yellowstone..... wow! Crazy to think that I had never been, but so glad to experience it now with Sofia and Vitor. While Old Faithful was cool, I found some of the other geysers more interesting and the colorful pools, especially Grand Prismatic and Morning Glory amazing. Sofia absolutely loved the hike up the hill to see Grand Prismatic and I agree that it was much more impressive from the hill than walking by it down below. However, the sulfur-smelling, warm smoke that was so thick and dense that it made your hair wet was a pretty "out of this world" experience. Camping was a bit colder than I had thought (40s), but we were well prepared with sleeping bag liners and extra blankets. We made a great dinner of steaks and beans (and of course a good bottle of Catena malbec that I drank over 2 nights) and were ready to call it a night. Looking forward to an exciting day tomorrow waterfalls, hiking, and hopefully some wildlife.....

Accommodations: Camping: Canyon Campground

Sites: Upper Geyser Basin - Old Faithful to Morning Glory Pool, Black Sand Basin (Emerald Pool)

Middle Geyser Basin - Grand Prismatic Spring

Lower Geyser Basin - Firehole Lake Drive

Hikes: Hill off Fairy Hills Trailhead for view of Grand Prismatic (Incredible view)

Wildlife: Deer, Raven

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Where we hiked up to seeWhere we hiked up to see
Where we hiked up to see

Grand Prismatic Spring


Tot: 0.494s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 26; qc: 120; dbt: 0.2269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb