YELLOWSTONE


Advertisement
Published: July 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

July 23, 2010
We left Ashton, Idaho this morning at 8:00 am and entered Yellowstone at the West Gate at 10:00 a.m. We did Old Faithful and the other boiling points first. I especially liked the hot springs. They are so beautiful. Wanted to see how hot they were, but they don’t let you close enough. The different shades of blue are beautiful and I’m sure the pictures can’t capture the real colors. We thought a couple of the holes looked more like septic tanks, but I think they are some that may be dying or drying up. We then drove through some beautiful scenery on the way to the Canyon and Falls but when we reached the section where most of the Bison reside traffic backed up for miles and miles. We were told that there were probably Bison meandering or laying in the road. There is nothing to do but wait. It was getting late so we just turned around and went back the way we came and turned off and headed for the East Gate.

Driving through Wyoming was very beautiful as well. We were headed for Cody, WY to spend the night. We went to dinner in Cody at a place called Cassie’s. It has been there since 1922. Cassie’s is a steakhouse, bar and honky tonk all in one. Since Wyoming is known for “beef” I decided to order a steak for dinner. I ordered a Bone-in Ribeye and Angelo ordered a Chicken Fried Steak. Well, they were gynormous. We have dinner for tomorrow on the road. I have never seen such a big ribeye. Needless to say, it was fantastic. Cassie’s also has a gynormous dance floor. You could see that people were starting to gather for the Honky Tonk portion of the evening. I’m sure the band would start playing somewhere between 9 and 10 pm. Since we are old and Ange won’t dance, “don’t ask him”, we did not stay for the festivities.

Tomorrow we head for home. If I have something interesting to report for the next few days, I’ll post again. We have been on the road for 22 days now. It really does not seem that long to me. We have packed a lot of stuff in these 22 days. It has been interesting and fun, but I don’t know if we would do such a trip again. Future trips will probably be one or two destinations. We have always wanted to do the Rt. 66 trip and now that we have done it, we have to figure out what we want to next. That is after we spend four months in Guam this winter. We’ll see you there for sure.

Homeward Bound.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



25th July 2010

Thanks so much for the blog, guys! It's been so delightful & informative.

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb