Yellowstone: Nature Lovers: In Which the Author Coins the Term "Urban Hippie" and Praises Vik and Suzie


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Yellowstone National Park Canyon, Grebe Lake, West Thumb


The Simoneit FamilyThe Simoneit FamilyThe Simoneit Family

Gandhi G, Vik Suzie, Lincoln, whose 1 year old.
Saturday August 8, 2009 Norris Campground, Yellowstone National Park
In Which the Author Defines and coins the term “Urban Hippie” and praises Vik and Suzie


Blogger Note: I'm currently in the laundrymat of the West Thumb/Grant Villiage-- it's Monday Aug. 10th, and after this posting, I'm leaving Yellowstone for the Grand Tetons. I added at least 40 more pictures to the previous entry (internet connection is kinder today), and I am also adding some more at the end of the "Vik and Suzie" rant.

I’m currently spending today much as yesterday—a day of rest. After 3 days of 10-hour drives with Vik and Suzie, friends from Chicago, I am again typing with 32%!l(MISSING)aptop power left sitting in the tent, rain intermittently falling (even though the sun is still out and beaming. With all the work yesterday on the typing of the blog, my evening 12 mile (25 minute) ride into Canyon Village, with all its modern conveniences inconveniently overpriced by an average of 25%!,(MISSING) did pay off big-time with a $3.25 shower, laundry for one load each of lights and darks (inc. handkerchief, pillow cases—stolen along with two pillows from the airlines--, and socks, etc. I fear that some particular tighty-whities may not make the “re-entry cut,” haven fallen victim to the harsh terrain of a human body in the harsh west.
Sophie, Jennifer and mine’s pet mutt (one Tennessean in Badlands National Park drawled out, “She looks like a Blue Healer .” In any case, she’s had her morning combing and went for a short jaunt into the wooden patch directly behind us (Yesterday, upon arrival here, Sophie and I went back, walking 10-15 minutes in. I scouted around, and soon was lost, for about 30 minute’s total.) I had dehydrated backpacker eggs (a score from the Cody Sierra Trading Post outlet store) and pancakes, which were much better than yesterday. Sophie had a 1/3 of a can of Alpo, as a “traveling away from home rebate” mixed in with her dry food. I washed the dishes (a sink is provided at the front entrance, along with flush toilets. Fresh water to refill my 2 5-gallon jugs of water is also available).
My neighbors, whom I met yesterday, a requirement, as they’re only 15 feet away, consist of a comedic, caring dad with (I think) 3 kids. They are also from Chicago, living in a near-north suburb. I provided a can of Sturgis Budweiser while we chatted. He seemed to have a great repertoire with his kids, and showed them respect by making a point to change the word “kids” to “young adults” during his introductions. As I was leaving to go to Canyon village last night, supper was being prepared, and Mark, the dad, offered me a chicken breast. I pleasantly declined and stated that I was a 25-year vegetarian, to which the daughter, “Whoo-hooed, Homer Simpson-style. I’m finding more and more vegetarians while I’m out, and veggie burgers are popping up more and more (that’s not to say that, for sure, I’d love to see more variety everywhere. I told her that we’re “2 out of 6, a pretty good percentage.” After their dinner, they had decided to play games, a throwback that complements much of the “innocent throw-back time” associated with camping.

I initially coined the term “urban hippie” to describe myself. I subscribe to a number of hippie ideals—peace, love, nature, etc.—after all, what strong argument might one ever be able to offer against these issues? I’ve retained, and advanced, many of the facets of the hippie movement even during my 15-year tenure in Chicago (I grew up in Georgia in a small town). I never had the hair to officially be able to hang, and I was never good at hacky-sack. Currently, our hygiene levels certainly match!

Vik and Suzie Simoneit are life-long Chicagoans who fit the part more than me. Sporting (and distributing, for free) magnetic tye-dyed peace signs, dressing in dirty jeans and t-shirts (well, I’m often guilty of this as well) adorned with “Peace Now” and “Obama” pins, and listening to, and promoting shows such as Democracy Now radio and Countdown with Keith Doberman, the pair have been married and working together as a tight, inseparable team for 27 years. Of those 27 years, they have been coming to Yellowstone each year for a two week period, always beginning at the end of July, without fail for the past 20 years, starting in 1989, the year after the big fire.

Yet, before I go exclusively into the two’s relationship with Yellowstone, I first have to comment on what makes this pair “First class, above-and-beyond” hippies. Vik and his family were “textbook”
Vik and Suzie with RangerVik and Suzie with RangerVik and Suzie with Ranger

He wanted a picture with Lincoln.
German immigrants, setting in Beverly when Vik was 6. Interestingly, his father was a famous slight-of-hand magician, and earned a living traveling and performing. As with many Germans, structure and family closeness, accompanied by stern civil values and responsibility, were/are the norm, not the exception. Vik went to college and became a school teacher for ten years. Disenfranchised with the structure of the Chicago Public School system’s choices and directions, he went into the video business, shooting many weddings, events, etc. Vik currently still works in the audio/visual department in a Mexican-American populated middle school, but now much more independently. A consement teacher and mentor, Vik is excellent in, with guidance, handing over responsibility over to students. For instance, I attended the school’s production of “The Wizard of Oz,” 10-year olds were operating the spotlights, audio, and video camera, while Vik sat in the back control both, editing on the fly and barking orders to the workers. Vik coordinated, along with a group of students, an actual “t shirt business,” allowing students to borrow $600 for the seed money to take photographs of the school and its students (community building) and print them on very inexpensive t-shirts and selling them
Yellowstone Vik and SuzieYellowstone Vik and SuzieYellowstone Vik and Suzie

Walking back to the hippie van!
for 3 times the investment cost. The money was paid back very quickly, and a few thousand dollars was raised toward the group’s goal.
Both Vik and Suzie have personally selected and mentored at least 20 kids over the years (they have no kids of their own). They’ve brought groups of kids here to Yellowstone, many of whom would probably have never had the chance. These students, from the rough Gage Park neighborhood in Chicago, have gone on to tremendous success, including one young man, now in his early-mid twenties, who is attending Harvard for his PhD. It was nice to hear Vik and Suzie reminisce of the years of “the kids” and their particular adventures, such as building a team of 6 members and flying kites, in well-coordinated “stunt-style” at 9000 feet. As spectators stopped employed their Minoltas, causing a “kite jam,” the unified tricks brought an unexpected surprise—bald eagles flying over to investigate…
In addition to their caring for people and nature, the couple also cares about music. For the past 25 years (or maybe longer), the couple has been hosting the Friday Night Jam, which accompanies rotating and long-term musicians of all levels in a
Vik checking the sceneVik checking the sceneVik checking the scene

Inspire, Educate, etc.
“round robin” format. The average number of people is at least fifteen, mostly a solid group of college teachers, accountants, computer people, a theater owner, etc. The variety of instruments on any given night may include: 5-7 acoustic guitars, Vik on mandolin, 1-2 lead guitars, Suzie on bass, accordion, keys, percussion, harmonica, (sometimes) violin—or in this case a “fiddle,” banjo, etc. Each member of has a repertoire of songs, probably each 5-10 repeated each week (which really does get the songs down “tight,” both instrumentally and vocally). Artists covered include: Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Fred Eaglesmith, the Stones, etc.) , producing an excellent sound.

Some nights we sound great; some night so great, which prompts a stern lecture from Vik. But, as mentioned, both Vik and Suzie are “action hippies.” Suzie’s weekly phone calls, religiously delivered each Friday afternoon, even to those whom have attended religiously for, say, three or more years, such as myself, showcase the need to/for success in any project: Drive, finesse and tenacity. After all, the two have been hosting the jam each Friday for 25+ years!
Between jokes, gentle ribbing, flubbed lines, smokin’ solos, and 6-chorus sing-alongs, breaks in the kitchen, with
Vik hawking PepsiVik hawking PepsiVik hawking Pepsi

He drinks 20 a day!
Suzie’s fine buffet of cheeses, chips and salsa, Vik, who with a Captain Ahab-sized blade, showcasing his “family-talent” of penny-thin slices of dark rye from the locale baker. Birthday songs, both the traditional and our own rendition of a deep, dark dirge, accompanied with death messages of an inescapable fate, are balanced with a $25 bakery cake or tiramisu, certainly build and sustain a common community of support and friends, again a credit to Vik and Suzie, the real deal.
In addition to the music, Vik meticulously records, edits and posts the weekly sessions onto an internet site, www.fridaynightjam.com. The process takes hours for him, and provides something that most of us amateur musicians have never had the drive to independently reach—our lead vocals, accompanied by a kick-ass group, have polished material in an organized fashion, available on the internet.

As you can tell, I’ve not even gotten on the main focus of the Vik and Suzie section—there interaction with the beautiful park in which I now sit. It’s 5 in the afternoon on Sunday, and I’m sitting in the tent, Sophie confidently snoozing beside me typing away. A steady rain is falling, immediately suspending the 2 hour chatting and activity with my (very near) neighbors. Mark O., whose voices sounds exactly like the “tall, goofy sidekick” in the film Sideways, and his 3 kids are natives of Elmhurst, IL. We chatted about their trips to Alaska, Hawaii, and locally to Starved Rock (and its beer-guzzlin’ amateurs), 90 miles west of Illinois. As mentioned, having no kids of my own, it’s quite refreshing to see such good people. The “young adults,” ranging from the youngest, most “nature-oriented” young man (probably about 10-12? I’m not good at such guesses—nor can I identify other people as sisters, father/son, etc.) to a college student (both daughters wish to study “non cats and dogs” veterinary medicine). The young adults were working independently on their own projects, including the youngest inventing the “Yellowstone Norris Campground No-Name Game,” similar to Chicago’s version of “Bean Bag” or “Corn hole” . Three strings tied to two trees were the targets for a thrower to toss an 8-inch string running between two small rocks, one tied to each end. It was fun, but as mentioned, my 3rd morning/afternoon lounging around the campsite was quickly halted by the rain. I’ve got 83%!(NOVERB)of the computer’s battery left, having charged it fully yesterday afternoon around another solid man-made “hot spot,” Old Faithful Village. I was pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed the experience, having heard of the overly-populated “touristy” version of the park (it’s the most visited and popular). I acted just like a tourist, sitting from the comforts of the cafeteria, an “authentic lodge one,” while organizing photos and typing park one of the “Vik and Suzie” portion. Last night, having viewed Old Faithful remaining true to its name and barely making the Madison-Norris road (there’s a 10 p.m. closing time, either for construction, a summer constant, or animal protection), I found it too quiet to type; it was late and folks were just settling into bed. Tonight’s my last night here; I intend to head south out of the park and into the Tetons tomorrow, camping at Bechler, a (looks like) Wyoming park in the Bridger-Teton National Forest, but providing a spot just on the south Yellowstone’s southwest border. It’s accessible only by dirt road through the forest. I believe it’s some of the area covered in author Tim Cahill’s book, titled something similar to “Yellowstone, My Backyard.”

Anyway, Vik and Suzie have been traveling to Yellowstone for 20 years in a row, always in the last two weeks of July. They’ve camped some of the parks early on, but now prefer to stay in the Canyon Village cabins. I also now see why, whenever I’d threaten to visit and crash with them in their cabin at Yellowstone why Suzie would always preempt me by asking, “So, where ya’ stayin’?” The cabins are probably from the ‘50s or early ‘60s, painted “National Park Brown,” and are very small, especially combined with the couple’s penchant for bringing audio and visual equipment (and the metal racks to support them), scopes, computers, musical instruments, including mando, bass, and accompanying amps, dog equipment of the large Golden Retrievers (on their initial foray into the park—this was a banner year for all the pack—Lincoln, Gandhi G, and Sophie…their reunion absolutely blew their minds, even though I had mentioned their names to Sophie a few times in the hours before us all meeting up). The room is filled to the gills.

Vik and Suzie, in their, once again, obsession to develop and create, have been extensively, mostly as members of the “animals/wildlife” subgroup, filming video and take still film and digital photographs, tens of thousands of them, and then combining all the material into a 4-6 hour documentary, complete with original music from the Friday Night Jam members (I also forgot to mention that all members also have their own sweatshirts and t-shirts--with sleek iron-on transfers bearing one’s one, individual instruments!—and all provided at no cost from Vik and Suzie). There is footage of drives within Yellowstone captured from a remote-controlled from inside the van tripod extending a foot above the roof. This, too, was Vik’s creation. The couple burn copies of the DVD, approx. 50 per year, and distribute them at no cost to the people that the meet in one of the 100s of short (approx. 5-10 minute) conversations that one will have in the park. Most people sheepishly try to offer money, thinking that they’ve been sucked in by a hippie version of an “Irish traveler” swindle, are shocked to authentically learn that Vik and Suzie’s motto closely aligns with that of the Yellowstone: Inspire. Educate. . Details as to how to get a free copy of their Yellowstone video
Hippie vanHippie vanHippie van

Loaded with media, dogs and people!
check details and/or email them through www.fridaynightjam.com/

During my 3 separate 10-hour drives with the couple (I knew that I was submitting myself, at will, to Vik and Suzie’s quirks and established routines and processes), I learned a lot of the park, including the “lone buffalo” (having passed his prime/interest in the reproduction department, he just lounges around, posing stoically for pictures and tempting fate for the all-too-curious tourist), the habits of black and grizzly bears, various and numerous past stories of encounters of animals, the geography of the park (the “bowl” theory, that Yellowstone sits surrounded by mountain ranges on all sides, in the crater of a giant, and still overdue for another huge, i.e. humankind threatening, volcanic eruption), and many former, bittersweet tales of visits with “the kids.” As hosts and tour guides, the two took me to the Upper and Lower Falls, Hayden Valley (animals) and the Lamar Valley. We would take walks with the dogs, carefully following the parks rules (100 feet only from any road, collecting dog waste, no off-leash, etc.). Vik and Suzie would work their routines suggested from 3-4 months of dog training, marching back and forth and ordering the dogs to “heal,” “turn,” speaking German commands. The dogs would often sleep through the driving, while we conversed on subjects such as (a constant for the two) politics—anti-republican rants with both Ronald Reagan and the (worst) Bush, camping/traveling experiences, their favorite parts of the park, and even some of my own past/family, which I tend to keep pretty close (well…locked away in a shoebox…).

Vik and Suzie follow all rules of the park, and have adopted a “non-rush” attitude, always traveling the 45-mile an hour speed limit. Vik, always at the wheel, would make long use of the turn-offs, often with sudden, blinker-less, pitches with feet of a 150 foot drop. It was a pleasure not driving, and thus, being able to admire the scenery, but the not being in control, i.e. driving, and being high up in that van, thus providing a direct view, straight down, provided additional adrenaline rushes throughout the day. I, too, adopted the “turnoffs,” never allowing anyone to be directly behind me. Vik’s and Suzie’s attitude can be best represented by Vik’s own goals: “We’re the good people. We wave. We say, “Hello.” Of the park, Vik repeated, “Where else can you see this, anywhere?!”

In addition to watching my dog for the entire 3-day backcountry hike, they insisted that I take, free of charge, a GPS system, as they had just gotten a new one. At the ages of around 60, I can only hope that I, too, can live up to their high ethical standards!



Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 34


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb