2nd June, 2009. Yellowstone National Park


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

2nd June, 2009. Yellowstone National park, Wyoming.

Today we travelled into Fishing Bridge through the West entrance, we are staying at the only full hookup camp in Yellowstone which is at Fishing Bridge - they can take 325 RV's.
There are two circuits in Yellowstone, the Upper and Lower, travelling in, we completed a small section of each, it had snowed the previous evening and the roads were a picture, most of the area is between 7000 and 8000 feet so pretty high. The temperature was 41F (5.5C). Travelling in we came across Bison and Elk, remember these are wild animals that have the R.O.W. so all care is on the driver.
After lunch we went for a drive towards "Canyon" 16 miles up the road. Sixteen miles took us 3 hours, they say to allow plenty of time and now we know why - there is just so much to see. We stopped at the Hayden Valley thermal area - nice walk around here.
Stopped at a road side layby and talked to a Ranger - they were watching a Grizzly that had killed a Bison calf that morning - Grizzly was having a lie down after eating so we didn't see it and mother Bison was still hanging around.
On the drive to Canyon there is the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone which is absolutely amazing, has two waterfalls the "Upper" and "Lower" falls and an Artists Pallet formed by the Thermal area's in the valley - have a look at the photo's.
Caldera - anyone know what that is? It is a huge Volcanic area, there are only a few in the world and a big part of Yellowstone is part of one Caldera - an area that could explode in the next 10,000 years - the explosion would be so big the ash fallout would put a big part of USA in darkness.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

2nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 0292nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 029
2nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 029

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone - Upper Falls
2nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 0612nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 061
2nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 061

Looking at the Artists pallet from the brink of the Lower Falls
2nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 0772nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 077
2nd June, 2009 Travel to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone Park 077

One big rock pushed down here by a Glacier, the trees around are Lodgepole Pines


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb