1st June, 2009. West Yellowstone, Montana.


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

1st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 0011st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 0011st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 001

West Yellowstone - Bison Painted by local artist for auction
1st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana.

Not to busy today, bit of shopping etc. Spent a bit of time at the Grizzly and Wolf Center, a great place, watched two of the movies, one on the Grizzly Bear.
The Grizzly is a funny creature, most people think he is a meat eater when in fact the opposite is true, don't get me wrong they do eat meat but it only makes up about 20% of their diet, they eat animals caught up in the winter freeze (deceased) and the newly born calves / fawns, and are quite happy to fight the wolves off after they kill. They also eat foliage / grass, but they have two special diets before they head into their winter sleep, the first is up in the high country, a moth lands in the rocks and they dig them out, can eat up to 40,000 moths a day (yep 4 zero's) and at one calorie each that's a lot of calories stored for the winter, the last meals are made up of a pine nut which they will forage for but being a cunning animal they raid the Squirrels stores and pinch all of their nuts, anyway cold as hell here, believe it is colder in Yellowstone.
Had a look at the 26 Bison and 10 calves painted by local artists - all were great and will be put up for auction in August.
And John we found Huckleberry Chocolate/coffee/soap etc, apparently the Huckleberry does exist and is similar to a Blue Berry, grows up in the high country - the chocolate was beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

1st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 0191st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 019
1st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 019

Campsite at West Yellowstone - Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park
1st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 0221st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 022
1st June, 2009 West Yellowstone, Montana 022

Huckleberry Chocolate - very nice


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb