The Dunes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Rock Springs
June 21st 2013
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Camp at Killpecker DunesCamp at Killpecker DunesCamp at Killpecker Dunes

The jeep was needs to shield the wind.
Geo: 41.5862, -109.223

The trip has actually begun. After packing up camp, we headed towards west Wyoming to see the 2nd largest moving sand dunes. Ok, what does that mean? Not sure, but it sounds cool. That meant another 4 hour drive with you know who. So, while tyrannosaurs Rex made a couple appearances, the comedy was trying to keep the jeep on the road while Alex screemed Moooo at all the cows. They would just look up at us as we passed and he would laugh hysterically. Yeah, stuck in the jeep too long.
We made it to the turnoff near Rock Springs. The landscape is beautiful. We proceeded down a dirt road, towards no civilization, and found out there were petroglyphs on the area. We parked the jeep, hikes a little ways, and found the 200 to 1000 year old rock carvings. Didn't know John hearts Sue was going on 1000 years ago. Sad, but there was some modern artwork mixed in.
Down the dirt rode we went. Even in 4 wheel drive we had to turn back once, the sand was thick.
We arrived at our camp and went to play on the dunes. I tried surfing down, but the board
The Boys!!The Boys!!The Boys!!

Time for a photo op on the side of the road.
didn't slide good so I went about 2 mph.
We saw more deer, and the largest jack rabbit ever. Laran, I tried to get you a lucky rabbits foot, but it was too fast.
All and all a great day and quite tiring. We are spending the night here, very far from civilization.
Although, as I type the sun is setting and some 4 wheelers have appeared on the dune. The sunset actually is rivaling one from home.
Oh, and just a side note, moths are terrible out here.
Too keep the game going, tonight is night 3 with no sleeping expense. The game continues, but may be near an end. Although, my trusty navigator thinks we can sleep and dash our way around the country.
Good night all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Killpecker DunesKillpecker Dunes
Killpecker Dunes

Incredible and sandy!


23rd June 2013

Cool picture! I love it when a picture says everything!
23rd June 2013

This is a fantastic picture!!
23rd June 2013

Wow!! Best pic ever! Love this one!
23rd June 2013

Now that is what I call out in the boon docks!!
23rd June 2013

Very Beautiful
24th June 2013

That's a great picture but I would stay slightly down a bit at a location with a different name just to play it safe.

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb