Yellowstone National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson
August 7th 2022
Published: August 9th 2022
Edit Blog Post

7th August, 2022

Alarm went off at 6:30 and we were on the road by 7:00. The day started out very foggy and drizzly and we were keeping our fingers crossed that it would clear up. It was a pretty long drive because we weren’t able to see very much.

We arrived at Yellowstone approx 8:00 and the day was starting to clear up in patches. We kept our eyes peeled for bears and bison but they weren’t being very co-operative.

After the flooding in June, there was a lot of damage to the roads so there was lots of roadworks everywhere. We managed to make it up to 8391 feet above sea level and couldn’t see anything because the trees were too tall.

There was lots of little water holes with flowering water plants which made the area very pretty. Kepler Cascades was flowing very heavily and made a spectacular waterfall.

We arrived at Old Faithful just as it started to spray. We could see the top of it from the carpark and made it there to see it finish. The park had started to get very busy and there was lots of people around.

We couldn’t drive to the top of the park as some of it is still closed because of the recent flooding so we drove to Canyon Village where I stayed in 2014 and it hasn’t changed at all. We bought some souvenirs and then went to the “Grand Canyon of Yellowstone”. On the way there, we finally saw a bison feeding on the side of the road. The “Grand Canyon” is still an amazing sight.

The mud pools were boiling rapidly so we stopped there to get photos and the sulphur smell was very strong.

Heading out of the park we saw another bison sitting quite close to the road just minding his own business. We didn’t have any luck finding a bear.

We were lucky though on the way home that the fog had lifted and the afternoon was reasonably clear so that we could see the Grand Teton Mountain Range. Truly spectacular.

Arrived back to the room around 6:30, quickly got changed and went to the restaurant (Bubba’s) at the back of the hotel. It was BBQ meat and ribs and it was delicious. I noticed that the chairlift was moving so we quickly walked up to go on it and missed out by 10 mins. It closed at 8pm. So walked back through town taking a few photos and got some souvenirs from one of the shops.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb