Deadwood to Jackson Hole


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson Hole
August 13th 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up in the beautiful black hills of South Dakota and headed to the old gold mining village of Deadwood. You may better know this city from the movie and the famous Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane. We visited Saloon 10 where Wild Bill was shot in the back of the head holding two aces, two 8's and a nine. Today the city is much like it was back in the 1800's only with a fresher look. There is more cement than the old wooden casinos and brick mills, but there are more one room casinos in this little town than I had quarters for. Just kidding, I'm more of a card player than a slots fan myself. We did find a gold mine in a small little sweets shop on the outskirts of town near the famous cemetery called The Chubby Chipmunk. Truffles were her passion and I was delighted to see that they had a cheddar beer cheesecake truffle. I know what you're thinking, but it was amazing. I'd bring some back for all of you, but there is no way the chocolate would keep for a week and a half. You'll just have to take my word for it.

We rolled over to the local grocery store to pickup a cooler and some ice for our next few days of camping in the national parks. I also found my favorite brew, Moose Drool, from Big Sky Brewery in Montana. Delicious! That I probably will have Kristen drive back with since we found a few cases warm. (The cold six pack is already gone!)

We then drove like crazy to get to the small hikers town of Dubois, Wyoming. Not much really going on there but it is just 80 miles west of the Grand Tetons National Park, and since we rolled in there around 9:30 we figured this would be a good place to get some sleep before camping. The Big Horn Sheep museum was in the town, but obviously closed for the evening. We did however find a great restaurant that served buffalo burgers with Buffalo Bill hot sauce. I chased it down with a Rattlesnake River Stout too. They make some fantastic brews out here.

The next morning we woke up early and toured through one section of the Grand Tetons Nation Park. We had another beautiful day in the park.
Devil's TowerDevil's TowerDevil's Tower

On the way from the Black Hills to Grand Tetons National Park.
I have heard about all of the terrible weather back East and I hate to rub it in, but we have only had one hour of rain the entire trip. The Grand Tetons were amazing. I have seen the Rockies from Banff, Canada but they are magnificent every time you see them. We took a few Nature's Valley granola bars with us (might as well film a few commercials while we are here right?) and headed out on the trails. There are some great pictures and views of the lakes. Be sure to check out the video of Grand Tetons.

We took a boat across Jenny Lake to a trail head that lead to some hidden waterfalls, actually cascades really, and it looped around to a great lookout. I found out that waterfalls are only when the water falls without touching rocks and cascades are water flowing down hill over rocks. You learn something new every day! There were some great views and some really friendly least chipmunks. In fact, in the video you'll see one sharing my granola bar with me and sitting on my lap. Friendly little buggers.

We ended our first trek through the Grand
Largest Hot Springs in AmericaLargest Hot Springs in AmericaLargest Hot Springs in America

Thermopolis, Wyoming
Tetons traveling on a dirt road where we spotted a few elk and deer. No moose sightings yet, but Yellowstone and the rest of Grand Tetons awaits tomorrow. We dropped the car off in Jackson Hole to have an oil change and checked out the ski resort and town. This is a city I will certainly come back to visit, especially in ski season. It reminded me a lot of Jasper and Banff in Alberta, Canada.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TunnelTunnel
Tunnel

Driving towards a tunnel paralleling the Wind River and railroad tracks.


14th August 2008

So enjoying your blogs! Look forward to them. Sounds like an amazing trip so far. Oh, BTW, Keenan has now taught his friends "poop deck". I am forever indebted to you, Uncle Eric. :) Til next time....
14th August 2008

I see the Cheddar Beer Chesscake Truffle doesnt fall far from the tree :^)
Anyone that would eat a cheddar beer cheescake truffle (with chocolate?) has to be related to Clif (with one f) Lawson
16th August 2008

Truffles
I know it doesn't sound good, but it was just a light flavor of beer and cheese in the cheesecake truffle.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb