We're Kayaking, Bears Get In the Lake, Now What?


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.818, -110.706

Up and on the water by 7:25 a.m. I think this is the earliest we have ever made it out onto the water. We had made the lunch the night before so it was just a matter of getting it all loaded up which cut down on our prep time. The water was perfectly still and so the reflections of the mountains was so spectacular!

Headed out toward the inlet where you can cross over into another parat of the lake. This year the passage was high enough that we were able to just float on through! As we approached Heron Pond we saw two female elk drinking on the shoreline. They moved off as we approached. Got out of the boat to check out activity on or around Heron Pond and we did get to see a muskrat working the area. We got back in the boat and saw a mother duck with eight young moving along the shore. There were white pelicans flying around as we were paddling.

As we had gotten ready to set off from shore, we had seen another couple come from around the corner in the direction of the main body of the lake. We wished each other a pleasant morning and then we headed in the general direction of where they had appeared from. It was early enough in the morning we did not see any other paddlers out on the lake or the inlet we had come from.

Around 9:15a.m., as we were heading toward the small island that would take us around toward the larger island on the main body of the lake, Robert calls out, "look there is a bear!" Once again, there is that lag time finding exactly where he is talking about. It had come out of the woods on the opposite side of where we had gotten out to check out Heron pond. Didn't stop its forward motion and jumped right in the water and started swimming across the lake! It was about 75 yards in front of us. (not real sure of distance but it was not way out there) Ok not enough excitement, here comes another bear from the same place as the first bear and jumps in the water and starts swimming after the other one. Now, two bears in the water with us. I don't want to get any closer but we did maintain our distance as the show unfolded. There were some who might have thought it would be nice to get closer for a better picture, I don't know.

The first bear came out of the water, not stopping to shake off or anything and took off running into the woods. The other bear is swimming right along. It kept lifting its head and unfortunately I got the feeling it was looking at us. Second bear climbs out of the water a little further up than first bear, but then takes off running to where the first bear had entered the woods.

This little incident made you appreciate why they want you to stay 100 yards away from a bear and how FAST they can move. They swam about 200 yards from shore to shore and did not slow down once!

Continued with our paddle and got out to the edge of the inlet and heading into the open water when we saw something swimming in the water near the big island out in the lake. What was it this time? Why a deer swimming in the water! It came to shore and moved into the woods. Not sure if it was evading something or what.

Started paddling in the general direction of heading back to the Colter Marina. By this time, there are lots of rental kayaks out paddling around exhibiting various levels of skill. There were also a large number of the small rental boats with motors out on the lake. Heard the sound of a motor and saw a boat heading our way. Father, mother and daughter, not appearing to be paying much attention to where they were heading but instead taking pictures as the boat continues on at a fairly fast clip. Fortunately, they did turn and there was no incident but made you wonder

Ate lunch near Little Mackinaw campsite #11 which is one of the campsites you can access from the water. Watched the boats, come and go while we were eating and then headed on back. What a great morning.

After loading the boat up again, we decided to check out some of the gravel roads near the Colter campground. We had been told of a gravel road you could get to Two Oceans Lake from. You could, but it was by foot not driving all the way there.

Back to Colter where we were too early for dinner so we walked over to the ranger station/ visitor center and checked things out. This is where we got the definitive information about the lowering of the lake. They were also showing one of Bob Landis' films on the wolves in the early days of the reintroduction. The scenery was beautiful and it was an interesting story about the Druid pack and a another pack the Rose Creek Pack.

Then it was time to eat so off to the Colter Ranch House Restaurant. While we were there got talking to another couple that had been to the Tetons 23 years ago and when they got there that time, the lake was drained and they had not been back since. Wow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 77, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb