A Devil of a Tower


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, we have started our family vacation. Today was our first day and we accomplished quite a bit. We drove from North Dakota after stopping to see New Salem Sue (see previous post), then drove via the Enchanted Highway (see previous post) into South Dakota and then entered Wyoming and stopped at Devil's Tower. I had been to the Tower a few years back but the rest riding along in the car had not. It was a beautiful day and we had a great time.

A little history...Devil's Tower is the US's first National Monument having been designated by then President Roosevelt in 1906. The Tower is 865 feet high with the Visitor's Center at the base at an elevation of 4,250 feet. According to the brochure, the rocks and boulders all around the base of the Monument (including some larger than cars), are broken pieces of columns having fallen from the sides of the Tower. The Tower is the core of a volcano which has been exposed to millions of years of erosen by weather and the local Belle Fourche River.

The Tower has a walking path which goes all around the base of the Tower. We walked it and it was wonderful. Not that strenuous and mainly shaded. Very, very peaceful with great views of the land around the Tower. Kids can also get a park ranger badge by filling out some materials in the Visitor's Center.

The Tower is also a popular spot for rock climbing. There weren't any climbers when we were there because June is a voluntary climbing closure for cultural use by American Indians. However, when I had been there previously, you could see the little flecks of people as they made their way up the Tower. There is also a huge prairie dog town as you drive to and from the Tower. The little fat rascals are all over for tourist's views.

Overall, it was an amazing site and a great start to our vacation. Tomorrow, we travel to Jackson, WY.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

View from the Tower PathView from the Tower Path
View from the Tower Path

Belle Fourche River is below.
BouldersBoulders
Boulders

View of just a few of the many boulders all around the Tower Base.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb