CC w Chris Day 9


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Cody
September 10th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Rather than searching for a place to eat breakfast, we ate in the motel. As expected, it was pricey and not really very good.



Today was the day we decided to see Old Faithful. Unfortunately, a bridge on the road to that part of the park was closed for the season so they could repair it before the winter snows. The detour added an hour to the trip making it over 3 hours from Cody to Old Faithful. It was a beautiful ride, however, so I won't complain.



We stopped at Canyon City to get more souvenirs. (can you ever get enough?)



We got there about an hour and a half before Old Faithful was scheduled to erupt, so we decided to get lunch while we were waiting. As did everyone else in the park, including several busloads of Asian tourists.



The grill we chose was an order at the counter, get your food, and find a seat kind of place. Chris went to find a table while I got in line to order the food. The was absolutely no seating. If you were lucky, you would find someone who was finishing their lunch and grab their table when they got up. Chris got lucky and found a table.



While we were eating some Asian woman who was with a group of Asians standing near our table came over to me table and said “thank you”. I told her “you're welcome” although I had no idea why she was thanking me. Probably for being so good looking, I guessed. She then pointed to the seat next to me in the booth and said something in a foreign language. I deduced that she wanted to sit next to me and I told her no.



Then the most amazing thing happened. The booth next to us had two couples sitting together eating lunch. One couple got up to get more soda and two of the Asian people immediately took their place. It was the incredible. The other woman who was sitting in the booth got up to get more soda and another Asian man took her place. Before he sat down he gestured toward our table and said something in a foreign language to the rest of his group. They continued to hover over our table like vultures. I told Chris that it was too bad that we didn't have a deck of cards, we could move our plates aside and play rummy. It was unnerving eating lunch while people are literally on top of you waiting for you to finish.



I ran into the two couples outside the restaurant ant they told me they were as flabbergasted as I was.



We listened to a park ranger describe how geysers functioned before watching Old Faithful erupt. We learned that there are over 10,000 geysers, mud pots, hot springs, etc. in Yellowstone and that Yellowstone has more than half of the worlds geysers.



The weather was on and off all day. It started to rain while we were looking at the geysers near Old Faithful, but later on it became sunny, and then it started drizzling. Then it stopped. Then it rained again. Couldn't seem to make up its mind.



Chris liked the park, she thought it was beautiful, but she didn't like riding in the car for 10 hours, though.



Got back to Cody about 6:30 and tried to find a place to eat. The first restaurant we stopped at had a 45 minute wait. The second restaurant had so many people waiting that we didn't find out how long the wait was. Same for the third. Then we saw a Mexican restaurant that didn't have a line of people in front of it and decided to eat there. It was actually very good. The Chinese restaurant that we saw didn't have anyone waiting, either, so I guess that tourists don't like ethnic food.



The Mexican restaurant was next door to a candy store so we decided to stop there after dinner instead of getting dessert. Unfortunately, by the time we finished dinner, it was closed.

Advertisement



14th September 2014

Love your post
I feel as if I were there with you. Yes, I would have taken out a deck of cards as well or a book

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb