Having a blast in Wyoming!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Cody
June 16th 2008
Published: June 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Cody, Wyoming! We’ve made a quick stop at one of Tony’s friends named Ken, nestled into the Bear Tooth Mountains. To the west is Yellowstone National Park and to the southwest are the Teton Mountains. The Tetons are only 100 miles away, but it would take you 6 hours to drive there. Many animals inhabit the area, including bobcats, gold eagles, rattle snakes, bull snakes, scorpions, mule deer, mountain lion, elk, mountain goats and horny toad lizards.
We arrived here yesterday around 5:30 P.M. after six hours of traveling. We had to travel over the Big Horn Mountains and Big Horn Basin before getting here. Our highest altitude yesterday was over 8,000 feet. The sights were incredible! At the summit, we were able to pull over and have a snowball fight in June! I creamed Tony!
This morning, the girls enjoyed feeding some llamas and chickens. I need to mention something funny - while Julia was feeding the llamas in the corral, she slid on a large pile on llama poop and almost fell down in it. We all had a good laugh! After three days of camping, we were so happy to be able to sleep in comfy beds, take warm showers and wash our dirty laundry. After breakfast this morning (I should mention that the closest Costco is in Billings, Montana 80 minutes away), we put some packs on the llamas and took them for a hike up the side of the mountain. Julia was small enough to ride on a llama named Chico. Tony walked with his llama Poncho. Maddie walked with Crow and I brought up the rear with Hobbit. Hobbit was born in the winter (Llamas should be born in the spring or the summer.) and his ears froze off. How sad!!! It was so much fun watching Julia ride a llama, though! She did wear a helmet and Ken did a great job of controlling Chico so that Julia never fell off. Crow and Hobbit enjoyed eating a lot of grass, so Maddie and I had to do a lot of pulling and leading. Once we reached the summit, we settled down on the rocks and enjoyed a nice lunch overlooking the valley floor. After lunch, we walked over another ridge and were able to see elk with the binoculars. Tony and Ken wanted to continue hiking with the llamas, but the girls in the group were ready to call it a day! Conceding, the guys lead the way back down the side of the mountain. We are all resting right now and then plan to take another hike this afternoon to see some impressive canyons and waterfalls.
Our plan is to spend the night here again and leave bright and early tomorrow morning for Yellowstone. All in all, I think that Tony had a great Father’s Day in Wyoming with the girls. I hope that you enjoy the new pics, but they really don’t give you the sheer magnitude and beauty of this area! We’ll blog again in Yellowstone!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb