On the Road Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin
July 26th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The front approachThe front approachThe front approach

Ben, James, Margaret and Caroline stand in front of Holy Ghost church before entering the Dickeyville Grotto.
I have to admit, I had a little Willie Nelson running through my head the last couple of hours. You see, after nearly three years off, my family and I have started off on the classic great American roadtrip. Yes, Amy and I packed the three kids (Margaret - 8, Caroline - 5, and James - 21 months) into the van this morning and have headed out for a 17 day adventure.

Ok, we might not be covering the traditional National Parks or hitting Walley World like the Griswold's, and many of our stops will be on the "slow and easy" side of things, but our trip will be none-the-less entertaining or adventurous.

Case in point, our first destination of the day :

Dickeyville, Wisconsin, population 1043, and located in extreme southwest Wisconsin (in fact, only about a 15 minute drive over the Mississippi from Dubuque).

What, pray tell is in Dickeyville, Wisconsin I can hear you asking. Why, the Dickeyville Grotto of course.

WHAT, pray tell, is the Dickeyville Grotto I can hear a few of you (mostly the non-Iowans/non-Catholics in the group) asking.

For those of you who don't know, a grotto (at
Details, detailsDetails, detailsDetails, details

Caroline enjoys the detail work in the grotto.
least in this context) is an artificial cave often built in a garden. The Dickeyville Grotto was built on the grounds of Dickeyville's Holy Ghost Catholic church by Father Mathius Wernerus from 1920 to 1930. It consists of a series of "grottos" which are elaborate concrete structures embedded with glass, fancy stones, shells, etc to produce patterns or mosaics. Most of the grottos on the grounds in Dickeyville are religious in nature (honoring various saints, the gifts of the holy spirit, Christ, etc.) while at least one is a patriotic grotto (with tributes to Lincoln, Washington, and Christopher Columbus).

While it wouldn't have been worth driving miles out of our way to see it, I'm glad we stopped by as the start to our adventure. The girls were quite fascinated by the wide assortment of objects that went into the concrete making up the grottos. I am just amazed at the amount of time and effort that would have been involved. Of course, getting a chance to eat a picnic lunch and take my picture in a town called Dickeyville is just extra icing on the cake!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Dickeyville GrottoDickeyville Grotto
Dickeyville Grotto

Even the poles and "ropes" around the walkways are stones set in concrete.
Sacred HeartSacred Heart
Sacred Heart

Margaret takes in the shrine of the Sacred Heart.
DickeyvilleDickeyville
Dickeyville

Margaret, James, Amy, and Caroline prove there is such a place as "Dickeyville"


27th July 2009

Thanks for the update . . .
Looking forward to more pictures.
27th July 2009

interesting
How in the world did you find this place. Looks rater intriguing.
27th July 2009

Missing you already!
Sounds like you're off to a good start! We had a lazy day, given that we took Jilly to CR at 4:30am. Thanks for blogging--it's a nice way to keep up with you guys. We are missing you already!! xo to all, Di
27th July 2009

Vacation
Looks like you are all having fun on Vacation. Oh and let me add Chritopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492. I had to say that just for Matt because when I said it yersterday I messed it up. Have a safe trip and see you when you get to Michigan!!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb