Cisco Loop Ride


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Land O' Lakes
February 28th 2012
Published: March 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today Jan told me she wasn't interested in riding as far as we did yesterday. So we decided to make about a 55 mile loop and get back to the Gateway early. Our friends, Pat & Dawn were driving up with their snow machines today and we hope to ride together tomorrow.

We Rode about 15 miles west of Land O' Lakes to Bent's Camp, a historic lodge on Mamie Lake, which is on the south end of the Cisco Chain of Lakes. We rode the lakes about 10 miles to the north end of Cisco Lake where we stopped for a break at the Cisco Lodge. Al, the owner was tending bar and told us a couple of hair raising stories about ice fishing on Lake Superior. Two times he was stranded on ice floes that broke away from shore. The first time he was with another guy and they had to be rescued by a Coast Guard helicopter. The second (and last time he ice fished on Lake Superior), he was alone and spent the night being blown away from shore in -5 degree weather. The next day, the wind finally blew him back to shore, but he had to swim about 60 yards to safe ice near shore. He said he tought he was going to die that time and decided not to go ice fishing on the giant lake anymore.



After the Cisco Lodge, we rode another 10 miles north to Rogers Bar, owned by the Rogers family, whose patriarch is a Navy vet of WWII. It's a friendly place with a nice, hot wood burning stove to dry things out.



We finished the loop by riding east to Watersmeet, MI and then 9 miles south back to our lodge. All of the riding was wide and smooth, which Jan loved. I really do enjoy riding with Jan and maybe next year we'll ge to do it a little more than this year. That evening the big storm that was forecast started. They're calling for anywhere from 8-15" of snow, so we'll see how much we get.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bent's CampBent's Camp
Bent's Camp

On Mamie Lake on the Cisco Chain of Lakes.
Bent's CampBent's Camp
Bent's Camp

Historical Lodge established in 1896.
Rogers BarRogers Bar
Rogers Bar

Watersmeet, MI


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb