The first blog...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Delavan
December 12th 2006
Published: December 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wisco HomeWisco HomeWisco Home

I got home just in time to enjoy the snow from the state's biggest blizzard in years. And negative degree weather... Joy!
It has been almost a week since I returned to the Midwest after 3 years living and working in London. It hasn't been long, but already it seems like ages ago I was wandering around Covent Garden, Shoreditch, Holborn, the West End, frantically squeezing all my worldly possesions into impossibly small suitcases. The process of sifting thru your entire contemporary life, deciding what stays and what goes, really does your head in. You flash back to all the other times you've done it before; do you keep the shirt you bought in Morocco all those years ago that you've never worn, but which is a beautifully crafted reminder of those 3 days in Tangiers so many years ago...? Nope, that one went to Oxfam. You've got to be a bit brutal in the end.

Here I find myself in Wisconsin, at my parents' place (see all the snow!), all of a sudden part of the family again. No longer just a voice or an email from really far away -- here, watching the dogs, negotiating what's for dinner, snooping thru my childhood posessions in the basement. The senior pictures with the trite, adolescent messages scrawled on the back with smiley faces and best intentions. Ah the days before cell phone numbers and email addresses have taken their place.

And so it is, the decision to pack it all in yet again, but this time instead of chasing a job, a flat, a new bizarre work culture, I'm looking forward to 10 months with a great friend and a backpack. The route (so far) is from London - India - S.E. Asia - Australia - Fiji - S. America. 10 months. God, who knows if that's going to materialise or if it will be altered by locations, dates, duration... In just over a month it begins.

Why start the blog now? Because this is such an intense time, staring at a blank canvas, not knowing what is going to happen, who I'll meet, what I'll learn. Sounds trite, it's not. It's exciting.

Advertisement



15th January 2007

Good luck
I will be thinking of you and Kris tomorrow when you take off for India. It's so exciting! Can't wait to read about your adventures in India. Lots of love, Michi

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb