Big Event in WV


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Domino's woundDomino's woundDomino's wound

Don't know who got him or how, but vet treated him and it is healing nicely...for $180.
We un-winterized the RV and had our mechanic do some work a few weeks ago. It needed new turn signals in the front (turns out you can't just change a bulb), new air suspension bags in the front, and a general tune up. Ended up with new brakes and oil change and tuneup on the generator. Yow! Once home, we cleaned inside and out and then stocked up with food and supplies and clothes. First big trip of the year is to Martinsburg, WV for our daughter's wedding.

We left Friday morning early and managed to get in late the same day. We had a hold-up in Salem, VA with some sort of problem on I-81, so had to go through town for a bit. That's OK, found gas for $3.07. Once in at Kim's, we were pleased to be able to hook up to a new 30amp plug she had put in just for the RV. That means we can use the A/C and not blow fuses or shut down Kris's computer. Kim had a nice dinner waiting in the crockpot and after a bit of catch-up, it was off to bed.

Saturday and Sunday mother and daughter
Autumn at Spring band concertAutumn at Spring band concertAutumn at Spring band concert

Autumn is in 8th grade and we were pleased to go to her spring concert and hear her play.
did some wedding things: pick up dress and take to friend's for holding, get vases for flowers and decorate, help with meal planning for the rest of the week, etc. Kim has everything under control and a very extensive to-do list, so that really helps. Included on the list were some patching of plaster and painting of walls, cleaning floors, and getting little felt pads on chair legs so to not scratch the hardwood floors.

Wednesday Kris drove to Baltimore to pick up his best man, David, and then 6 hours later, his mother and his son, flying in from the west coast. Kim was off starting Wednesday so more projects and that evening it was the Martinsburg Middle School Spring band concert. Kris's daughter, Autumn, was playing clarinet so we all attended to support her. After the concert Kim had one last errand to run so we took Autumn and her boy friend to DQ for treats.

Domino had seemingly gotten hit in the head with a stone from a passing car and had a lump that was a bit bloody. But on Thursday, it was really bad, so off to the vet to have it checked
Kim, Kris and ministerKim, Kris and ministerKim, Kris and minister

Consultation with Sue, the minister, at the rehearsal in the garden of the Purple Iris in Martinsburg, WV. It was a beautiful outdoor setting.
out. Turns out he got in a fight with a feral cat and was bitten and wounded in several places around his left ear. Clean up, antibiotics and the wallet was $150 lighter. (We took him back the next day when a secondary wound started festering, but after a quick check, vets said let it drain and he really is fine. But we are keeping an eye on him.)

Friday afternoon was the rehearsal. We practiced the long walk from the big stone house to the garden area where the wedding will be held (outside...no rain for the next 3 days...happy dance time.) We kept checking our phones for updates on son Joshua and family's arrival. They had left Thursday and notes were coming in that Jen was sick with a fever of over 103. They spent Thursday night in Charlotte, NC but that was after an hour and a half visit to an urgent care center. Finally heard they were in at the motel and Jen feeling worse. After the rehearsal I got dropped off at the hotel and everyone else drove to Hagerstown, MD for the dinner at a Chinese buffet. Josh was in the process of
BridesmaidsBridesmaidsBridesmaids

From left: Autumn--new daughter; Sarah--friend from Iwakuni, Japan (who now lives in Michigan); Laura--college roommate from NY, and; Jen--maid of honor from WV and work who honchoed so many details and oversaw the Saturday tea and bridal shower earlier. She is a gem, along with her husband Frank, who are wonderful friends.
changing rooms to get one with microwave and refrigerator for the kid's foods. Jen looked and sounded miserable. After getting her settled and some quick unpacking, Josh, Drew, Xander and I drove to the dinner.

Dinner was great with huge buffet. Drew had fun looking at fish indoors and a water wheel. Once we got Xander's food thawed, he gobbled down the green goop in his travel cup. Drew, shy at first, warmed up quickly to the crowd and soon had fun taking people to see the fish, get food, talk, and show off his dinosaur pendant. Drew even managed to get Kim to take him potty, an experience related back to the group by Kim which left all holding their sides laughing. Seems she was not quite ready for his a)quickness nor b) poor aim. Taking the situation in hand, she quickly got things under control.

Saturday the men went river rafting. They left about 0730 for a chillin' day on the Potomac. Josh, with 2 boys and a sick wife, declined and I stayed to assist. We had fun in the morning with the boys and then eventually made our way to a city park with
BackyardBackyardBackyard

Josh and Drew went in the backyard with Autumn to play with Sophia, the dog. Drew took to Autumn and she proved to be a wonderful big cousin.
a big playground so Drew could burn off his energy. He went from slide to swing to climbing ladder with ease and excitement. The only glitch was when he slipped on a monkey bar, Daddy grabbed him, and his pendant fell off. They looked but couldn't find it in the mulch under the monkey bars. He was devastated since it was a present from Mommy. I was in a different part of the park chatting with one of Kim's bridesmaids who was there with her son and Josh came and told me what happened. We quickly left, got the car and drove back to the site. I stayed with the boys and Josh scoured the ground again. This time, without being burdened with 2 boys, he was able to quickly spot it and return it to Drew. Drew was VERY happy and excited to have it back.

Meanwhile, that afternoon, the ladies who were available all went to a tea in Winchester. This was an event originally suggested by niece Cindy (Olsen) Jopling. They went to the Coach and Horses Tea Room (www.of-tea-I-sing.com) It is housed in an old 2-story log cabin and they have a variety of teas
Auntie with Alexander (Xander)Auntie with Alexander (Xander)Auntie with Alexander (Xander)

Xander is still a bit small (but not for long) to play with the dog, so Auntie held him. Note the big grin....on both of them.
and servings of treats. One of the highlights for the tea was the arrival on Saturday morning of a bouquet of flowers in a beautiful cut-glass vase from Cindy (who could not make it in time for the event.) The vase was sent to Cindy by her grandmother, Trish's mother and Kim's grandmother, when Cindy was married. Trish remembers seeing the vase in her house growing up. She thinks it was a gift to her mother from Trish's grandmother. This is a beautiful tradition and rich family history that added to the joyous occasion.

The ladies returned from the tea with leftover goodies and the men were grateful for a chance to have a taste. That evening Kris and his best man, David, along with Kris's son left to go spend the night in a hotel, not to see the bride until the next day. All were tired so we went to bed in eager anticipation of the nuptials the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

No, it's not what it seemsNo, it's not what it seems
No, it's not what it seems

Drew is actually riding right behind Daddy. But Drew refused to stick his head out for the photo, the rascal. Both boys had fun at the park.
Keeping Xander safeKeeping Xander safe
Keeping Xander safe

Since Daddy was with Drew, and grandpa wanted to get pictures, having Xander in the swing seemed a good way to keep him out of trouble. I'd run over and push him every so often and he'd just giggle and grin.
Helping DrewHelping Drew
Helping Drew

Actually, Drew climbed across all by himself. But since he slipped a bit, Daddy decided to be his safety net. Drew fearlessly climbed, swung, spun and ran all over the playground and gym sets.
Tea Table settingTea Table setting
Tea Table setting

Ladies present on Saturday who could attended a tea in Winchester at a lovely old home. This is the table setting. Each place had a separate tea pot with a quilt cover to keep it warm.
Kim and Mom at teaKim and Mom at tea
Kim and Mom at tea

Maid of Honor, Jen Muth, had her husband take pictures. He captured Kim and Trish on the balcony of the old home.
Tea cakesTea cakes
Tea cakes

Oh....YUM!! Fortunately the ladies could not eat all the good sweets so the men could at least taste some that evening. MY....were they good!!!
Ladies at teaLadies at tea
Ladies at tea

If Trish is the MOB (Mother of the Bride) then this group would be the WOB (Wise Old Broads) celebrating with Kim. Kris' mom is lower left, Trish upper left, and Martha Musgrove, a very dear friend from our NH days and now living in NYC, is at the upper right.
Gigi's basketGigi's basket
Gigi's basket

Trish's mom (Gigi) gave one of her granddaughter's, Cindy Olsen, the lovely vase you see for Cindy's wedding. Cindy in turn wanted Gigi (who Kim remembers well) to be part of the wedding, so she arranged for the vase to arrive in time for the tea filled with beautiful flowers. The vase in turn was on display at the wedding reception.


7th May 2013

As usual, reading your blog makes me smile. I also saw the wedding photos on FB and it appears the entire weekends was a fabulous event for all! Your family is really growing.

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb