Friends/Family Northern Swing, Pt 2


Advertisement
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We only had a short drive to get to Kim’s. By being at Dave and Bonnie’s, we cut our drive by at least 45 minutes. Since we had filled with water, and dumped the sewer at Lodge’s, we traveled ready to park for almost a week. Kim was working from home that day and was on a conference call when we arrived. Once the call ended, we had time to hug and catch up. To our dismay, Kim had a cold and sounded stuffy. So we opted to stay around the house and not go running out to stores except for essentials.


On Wednesday we relaxed and then went in to Shephardstown to see Kim’s new office. She had competed and gotten a new job 6 months ago and this was our first chance to see the new office she had. We also visited with a number of her colleagues whom we knew and caught up on news with them. We didn’t stay too long since Kim had a cold and was feeling snuffly. The next day, we urged Kim to continue to take it easy and so all we did was go to an apple farm and pick up apples, a pie, pumpkin roll, goat cheese, and Asian pears to munch the rest of the week and weekend. That evening, Trish took the apples and made apple dumplings for dinner (one of the “bucket list” item Kim wanted Mommy to make when we visited.)


Friday Kris came home from school and we all headed in to Frederick, MD to shop the old town area. We found a super Asian market on the way and the kids (and us) picked up some items we needed. Then we parked in the downtown and wandered the old streets and shops. Frederick was the crossroads for the armies during the Civil War, being invaded by the South on the way to Antietam and then by the Union on the way to Gettysburg. Remember the poem of Barbara Fritchie? (“Shoot if you must, this old gray head, but spare your country’s flag, she said.”) That was in Frederick. The old downtown had coffee shops, boutiques, gem shops, an oil and vinegar shop, a tea house. We had fun going in to several and seeing the different wares being offered. It seemed a vibrant and fun place to spend time. When we finally headed home, we were tired and decided to go out for dinner. The kids knew of a Greek restaurant so we found it and had a really great and filling feast of mousakka, seafood, chicken lemon soup and gyros. We sampled each other’s dishes and had so much, we had to bring some back home.


Saturday morning we woke to snow! Not a little, but a lot!! That shot our chance to drive to the mountains to a state park for hiking and picture taking. We spent the day relaxing, chatting and watching a movie on TV. That evening, I fixed okinomiyaki for the kids (another bucket list item for Kim). This is the same dish Josh and Jen want us to fix when we go south.


Sunday morning we headed up to Hagerstown to attend the Unitarian Universalist church. Trish and I had gone here in the early 80’s when we lived in Pennsylvania and Kim was little. The church had gained a new home out in the country and we thought it would be interesting to visit and see the differences. There was no one there we remembered and inquiry of one of the older members revealed that several of the folks we did remember (by name) had moved away. It was an interesting service and Kim and Kris left with a new perspective. That evening, Jen and Frank Muth came over for dinner. This couple are friends from Kim’s work and Frank works for the Fish and Wildlife and is a fun guy to talk with. Trish made chicken and dumplings (the third item on Kim’s request list) and everyone had seconds.


Monday was a laid back day of laundry, relaxing, and helping around the house. There was a closet door in the spare bedroom that needed to be fixed and Kris and I got that done. We read, talked, and Kim went in the kitchen to make pumpkin soup. She had a recipe that called for baking the soup inside of a flatter, squatter pumpkin. The pumpkin was hollowed out and the mixture poured in, then the whole thing (on a baking sheet) was baked in the oven for over an hour. I must admit, I was a bit leery, but when it came out, YUMMY!!!


It was a wonderful week long visit and we left Tuesday morning for our next leg. We knew Kim and Kris (with chocolate Lab Sophie) would be coming down to Alabama for Thanksgiving in just three weeks. We’re looking forward to them coming and cooking turkey for them and watching the dog run in the wide open fields.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Snow?!!Snow?!!
Snow?!!

We woke Saturday to snow....about 6" of wet snow. No traveling this day. Fortunately, it melted by the time we left a few days later.


8th November 2011

Kim
John, I'm sure you have heard this a million times, but your daughter looks just like you (o: I was fortunate most of the snow passed me by.

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb