days 11 and 12


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
August 22nd 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Days 11 and 12

Well, day 11 was a “rest day”, we lounged around the house in the morning and then went into the next village along, a place called Isaquagh so that Shirley and Ngai could get in some retail therapy. Tom and I went to a Black and Decker shop but our mantra of 110 volts, 110 volts enabled us to escape without spending money.

Day 12 was much more active. We got up early and got away finally at 0745 to head into Seattle thru the morning traffic and boarded the ferry for Bainbridge Island. A quick thirty minute run saw us meeting up with John Harding who took us to his beautiful home on the island where we uplifted Phyllis and essential supplies and head off to the Olympic peninsular where John keeps his boat moored. We spent the day cruising around in the immediate Puget Bay area; this is an absolutely beautiful cruising area that extends all the way up into Alaska with hundreds of islands and sheltered bays. We cruised past the Remmington Naval base where we saw over a dozen submarines and three aircraft carriers plus a host of other surface military vessels. At one point we got a bit too close, especially with Tom videoing everything insight and got shooed away. We also ran into a sea battle from a different era with a couple of old time sailboats firing cannon at each other, we have no idea what this was all about, it looked like something for the movies but there were no cameras or support boats in sight, I guess we will never know. We got back to Seattle after the evening rush so it was a relatively easy run back to North Bend and it was really nice to be out on the water again and John was gracious enough to let me drive, easy as, really, with a boat that runs straight and everything to hand electronically in the way of charts, depth etc. It is the first computer assisted helm I have been at and was pretty neat.

Shirley’s weekly input - Greg has covered all the activities. After 10 days of driving on the right hand side we are progressing, Greg has got over his confusion of driving downhill when in fact we were driving uphill, Ngai doesn’t like slidey- iney thingeys - booths at restaurants for the uninitiated and Tom only occasionally goes left when we say right and I of course am perfect.

Kia Orana to all, we are progressing well in the driver stakes with two navigators who come up with two different ways to go so today I am leaving my hearing aid off, so things should go better. Ngi sits in the back and only speaks when an interesting topic is mentioned but the trip as you can see is getting better as we go along. Rireana I don’t swear now in these letters, see you all soon in 9 weeks. Kia Manuia Tom



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



22nd August 2007

110/220?
Kevin's solution to your problem is lots of transformers!!!! Glad to hear you are having so much fun, and seeing such a gorgeous part of the country. 9 Weeks? What will you do when it gets cold? - Have fun - Caroline and Kevin Pyne

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb