Starting Second Cruise on the Statendam from Seattle


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
June 15th 2015
Published: June 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We survived the bus ride back to our motel, a second night sleeping in Seattle after a day of sightseeing, and ordered a taxi to take us to Pier 91 in the morning at 10 AM. We had a very enthusiastic, and helpful, and funny, and talkative elderly porter from Jamaica who helped us get our bags from the taxi to check-in (seeing to it the bags were properly marked as our half hand done tags showing the cabin did not include the floor on the Statendam). And his energy and cheer was rewarded with twice what we would have normally tipped, because he was just what we both needed to see to it that this cruise started out on a high note, unlike the customs ordeal we endured in Vancouver just over one week ago.

They didn’t make us take new pictures last week; but, we did have to get pictures taken this time. We got to our cabin, and should have no trouble remembering this three-digit number, we struggled with the four-digit number last week. The Rotterdam Dining Room wasn’t open for lunch today; but, we’d planned to head for the Dive-In anyway. I had the Cannonball and the Hot Dog with sauerkraut again, and the fries with Dive-In sauce. The Dive-In sauce is much better than many places who have their own secret sauce which is really just Thousand Island dressing. Holland America has added a bit of spice to their special sauce, and it really is quite good. And you know, Sharon did not decide to try something different this time either, again choosing a plain burger and naked fries. It was too early to get a soda card so we charged the Sprite and Coke to our rooms which worked out just as well, because this way we both got a can of soft drink which we consumed easily. I had a scoop of pistachio and a scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream for dessert, and Sharon had her ice cream with chocolate syrup.

Our bags were by our cabin door when we returned and we unpacked. Sharon went and took some pictures of the sail-away. I joined Sharon for mass where we met Father Ivan from Toronto. He was on the previous 2-week Alaskan cruise on the Staatendam and will be on the cruise that follows ours as well. He encouraged everyone to remain seated during the entire service, avoiding the possibility of people falling down. The service is in the Wajang Theatre and the theatre-like seats fold up when you stand, and if you forget about that I suppose that this could be an issue. Father Ivan seemed to know that it had happened more than a few times in the past!

We had reservations in the Pinnacle Grill on this first night. We were seated by the window and the weather was nice as we watched the shoreline recede. I had the lobster bisque again, and the serving mound in the bowl did seem larger than on the Noordam. I also had the jumbo shrimp cocktail, and tonight, I was served four jumbo shrimp as opposed to the three on the Noordam last week. Sharon ordered the Crab Cakes (for me, of course). I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea, and also a bottle of San Pellegrino. They placed the water bottle in an ice bucket by the table to keep it cold. I had to ask for additional cocktail sauce on the side because the shrimp came on a heap of lettuce that had a tiny amount of cocktail sauce smeared on it; but, nowhere near enough for me. The Noordam had served their jumbo shrimp with a large side of the sauce by itself. While I was waiting for the sauce, the server came and topped off my water, and I was unable to stop him until he had filled my glass already half full with San Pellegrino to one that now had half table water added to it. He did bring a replacement bottle for me, and later when we were getting ready to leave, he added the two bottles together and I wound up with an almost full bottle to go. I ordered the cedar plank halibut and grilled prawns and Sharon ordered the 10 ounce filet mignon. She got the green peppercorn sauce (on the side) in case I wanted to help her finish her meal. My entrée was excellent, and I did try to help Sharon finish her meal; but, could only manage a few small bites of her very good steak (which she ordered medium). I had whipped potatoes (as did Sharon), and I also had the wilted spinach while she had carrots. She had planned to get the Baked Alaska, but decided maybe the less filling volcano chocolate lava cake would be better. As for me, I really was too full and had to skip dessert!



I went back to the cabin to rest a bit and Sharon check out the guitar player. The casino wasn’t opening until 9 PM, so that will have to wait for another day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb