More Cuteness


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Black-tailed deer fawnsBlack-tailed deer fawnsBlack-tailed deer fawns

I've heard that black-tailed deer are the same as, or a subspecies of, mule deer (which we have in Kansas), but I'm not sure this is actually correct.
So here are some pictures of the fawns and otters. The fawns have various stories, although recently they have been suffering from some sort of parasite that causes hair loss. We gave them Ivermectin, but one very obviously is showing no imrovement, so she may have to be shot again.
As for the otters, one of them came in with his brother because their mother had been trapped and relocated (again - ILLEGAL and particularly inhumane during the spring months). The brother is the one I mentioned that we necropsied last weekend. This one made it, however, and another local rehabilitation center (Washington is full of these places - it's weird being in a state where people like animals) had a single otter that they sent over to be with our lonely boy since otters do better in groups. A couple of weeks ago we received another otter that was again sent to us because we had two and he would be happier and learn to be an otter better with others of his own species. He hasn't been moved in with the other two yet because he is a little smaller, but they will all meet each other soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Black-tailed deerBlack-tailed deer
Black-tailed deer

Look at the size of those ears - mule deer get their name from the large size of their ears, and this fawn makes me think mule deer must be very closely related to black-tailed deer.
FawnFawn
Fawn

With milk on his nose from the formula.
FawnFawn
Fawn

You can clearly see there is a skin parasite issue.
One of the bigger ottersOne of the bigger otters
One of the bigger otters

I have no idea if this is the boy or the girl. But man is it cute.
Little otterLittle otter
Little otter

Eating a piece of herring
Bald eagle againBald eagle again
Bald eagle again

This is the one that is moving to PA, not the one with the foot issue


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb