Home at Last:):(


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Olympia
July 2nd 2010
Published: July 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Birds NestBirds NestBirds Nest

Namib Desert
Snapshot:
As many of you know, we are back in the US, trying to adjust to the life we knew just 90 days ago. The beauty as we left Swakopmund is almost indescribable, as large dunes lay against the sea. We continued south traveling on dirt roads through the Gaub Pass. This desert is rather well known due to a German author Henno Martin who with his dog and best friend lived several years virtually unknown to the communities and villages that surround this area. These men, escaping the atrocities of WWII, lived by eating game meat, and sleeping in caves. -A book well worth a read: The Sheltering Desert.

After several hours of dirt road driving, we made it to the Sossusvlei National Park, grabbing the last campsite available. Sossusvlei lies against the Namib Desert, a 25-mile wide by 250-mile long dune desert starting at the Atlantic Ocean. With a few exceptions, Namibia made their entire coastline into “Park” status. We rolled, walked, and ran among the great red sand dunes that Sossusvlei is famous for.

We continued south camping in Keetmanshoop, known for their Kokerboom Forest where 300+ year old Quiver “trees” are found. Note, these trees
CampingCampingCamping

Night life for Yvonne and Michael
are really an aloe plant called Kokerboom. Some Bushman and Hottentot use the tough back for quivers for their arrows. Nearby we visited a roadside artisan stands, only to bring home a 2-foot by 1-foot wide wooden elephant.

But on we went, continuing South, passing into South Africa in the dark. Mike took over the wheel, as the excellent tarred (paved) roads and low density cars came to an end. We continued east to Kimberley, where we got to glimpse at the world’s largest man-made diamond mining mine. Soon we made it to Johannesburg, to visit with Michael’s UWC friend Alex and wife Vanessa.

We flew back to Frankfurt and spent time with Yvonne’s aunt and her husband in Wiesbaden. As we gathered our belongings to fly home (no longer carry-on) we watched the screen to other destinations….wishing we had more time for one more excursion….
.
For those who want the South African experience, but don’t want to actually fly there, I highly recommend the Wildlife Safari in Roseburg, Oregon, and trip to Eastern Washington or Oregon.

Happy traveling!
Yvonne and Michael



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Flock of Ostrich'sFlock of Ostrich's
Flock of Ostrich's

Namib Desert
Creative PlaygroundCreative Playground
Creative Playground

Near Keetmanshoop Namibia
Waiting for a rideWaiting for a ride
Waiting for a ride

From South Africa to Botswana, many folks waiting for a ride
Michael Michael
Michael

Michael finally getting to some geology at Kimberly Diamond Mine
GERMANS!GERMANS!
GERMANS!

Germans taking their South Africa trip seriously!
Another Fine BreakfastAnother Fine Breakfast
Another Fine Breakfast

Venassa and Alex offered another fine breakfast
Margit und AlbertMargit und Albert
Margit und Albert

Wiesbaden Germany with Yvonne's aunt and uncle.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

The last of trip:(


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb