MT. ST. HELENS


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A man of good will with a little effort and belief in his own powers can enjoy a deep, tranquil, rich life---provided he goes his own way……. To live one’s own life is still the best way of life, always was, and always will be.
Henry Miller


LINKS


Name


TRAVEL TIPS




Saturday, June 11, 2005
It has been raining on and off all night. The Visitors Center at Mt. St. Helen’s is just a few miles from the campground. Unfortunately we were up too early and the center was closed. So undaunted by the bad weather, we continued up the 50 mile drive up and down the mountains.
For some reason there are three or four visitor centers. One at the approach of the park and then the others are well down the road going toward the national monument.
The Johnston (Johnston is named for the young geologist who perished in the eruption) Ridge Observatory, 4,314’, had a magnificent video with actual footage of the 1980 eruption. We witnessed the effects of this active volcano; much of the lush forest was turned into a wasteland. The fields of tree stumps attest to the power of such an event. Tree went down like toothpicks. The lava melting the snow, created a mudslide of such proportion that it changed the terrain in a flash.
However, as one looks closely, now 25 years later, it is amazing how nature is coming back. The persistence of life is astounding.
The weather at Rainer was clear but not so today. Clouds and fog obscure our view. You can’t “win’em” all!
We found a campground in Centralia, WA, with wifi, wireless internet. It is wonderful, finally we can get some Colorado blogs out.
Following a tip, we went to McMennion’s Olympia Club for dinner and a movie. This restaurant, hotel, bar, movie theater is a hoot. While relaxing in overstuffed chairs and couches, and eating dinner we watched a fun movie, “Miss Congeniality”. What an interesting experience, sort of like being home on a “kick-back” night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb