Weird & Wonderful!


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

K - After 1300 miles of driving and a couple of ferries we are now in Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands - pretty much at the top of Washington State and therefore the top of the contiguous US. And tomorrow is the San Juan Marathon & Half Marathon! Having not run properly since Boston 7 weeks ago and I have to confess getting a little antsy due to lack of exercise on this trip I am a little tempted to jog a long for some of it but I will probably resist! However I will get up to cheer people along as I know that it definitely makes a difference.

We have been very spoiled and on Wednesday, despite the forecast the sun came out with a vengeance and we have seen Oregon and Washington at their absolute best. It is over 70 degrees today and the blue skies and white mountains are stunning.

On route to San Juan we have ticked many travel boxes: Oregon Coast - stunning - and a wonderful night spent in Yachats, a beautiful Bay with hypnotic breaking surf (and an official contender for "Our Retirement Place" or "ORP"). Pinot Noir tasting in the Willamette Valley - raining but fantastic facilities and views and with a laid back welcome that Napa probably had 20 years ago (and $0 - $5 tasting fees which they definitely lost years ago). Portland - the famous food carts and micro-brew pubs plus numerous people watching opportunities (there is an unofficial movement apparently to "Keep Portland Weird".......in the nicest possible way I believe they are definitely managing this!). And an awesome drive up the beautiful Olympic Peninsula with the snowy mountains "out" around us.

We are also getting our traveling legs and taking detours and local advice to good effect so, yes I am getting "laid back" already. Honest. A bit. Or maybe Mark should blog about that 😊

Tomorrow we are off to look for Orcas which are a common sight here. And there is even talk of going in a kayak .....

Advertisement



5th June 2011

Sounds brilliant
Oregon sounds lovely though possibly not the place for shorts! I am glad Kate is now adopting the 'mum' school of couture as I have been trying to influence her sartorially all her life! Looking forward to the next episode.

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb