Washington DC, Washington


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The first thing we noticed about Washington DC were the prices... Accom, transport, food etc all overpriced... So walking it was. And man did we walk. About 5-10 ks a day, at least. But it was a nice way to see all the sights of the city.

The White house... Hmmm well I expected it to be, well I dunno... Bigger? Still, it was very beautiful (and heavily guarded of course) Unfortunetly Barak Obama couldn't squeeze us in for a visit so we had to make do with peering through the gates like peeping toms 😊 Did you know that it has 132 rooms and 35 bathrooms, 412 doors, 147 windows, twenty-eight fireplaces, eight staircases, three elevators, five full-time chefs, a tennis court, a (single-lane) bowling alley, a movie theater, a jogging track, a lap swimming pool, and mini golf. It also has about 5000 visitors a day, so we were happy to be 2 of them 😊

There are actually tours that you can take to go inside but unfortunetly you have to be an American National, and well..... I cant even speak American 😊 lol By the way funny story, waiting in line for the audio guide we see a sign that says 'American' and one next to it saying 'other languages' But heelllooo we speak Australian... lol pretty funny at the time.... Pretty sure they meant uh 'english' But totally true, the Americans are finding it pretty hard to understand us, apperently we speak fast??! Hmmm I dunno....

Anyway we also spent some time at the U.S capitol house (similar to our parliment house in Canberra) and visited a ton of memorials... Like the World War II, Vietnam, Korean and the best... The Abraham Lincoln Memorial. Its a hugh building with large pillars and inside is the famous Ab Lincoln statue... Pretty cool.

Also the reflection pool, bit disappointing since they were doing works to it so it was drained at the time. But it reminded me alot of the Forest Gump movie 😊 Then theres the U.S supreme court, the national treasury and the Arlington Nation Cemetry, here you'll find burials of the Kennedy's, as well as thousands of soldiers that have died in the wars... Very sad.

We also went to a Native American museum. Very interesting to see how they lived and how they live today... So although we only had a few days here we still managed to get alot done. So now its time to get on a train to New York.... Yey!!

BTW Happy Mothers Day Mummy's.... Mwahh!!!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb