Day 1 Mile Zero to La Conner WA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Anacortes
April 30th 2013
Published: April 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Out of the house on time after a frenetic morning cleaning and packing - 70 pounds extra per bike consisting of clothes, camping gear, tools, iPad, camera, and stuff. Lots of stuff. Down to Mother's for one more hug. Then to the start line Mile Zero to reset the odometers. Nothing stopping us from going but the leaving. Took a very roly poly ferry ride to Anacortes where the rain cloud in Sidney caught up to us just as we were riding up the ramp off the ferry. Do NOT drop the bike Helli. A day of excitement and anticipation was replaced with a day of sitting and waiting. Waiting for customs. Waiting for the ferry. Waiting in port at Friday Harbor. Waiting for customs again. Waiting for the rain and wind to stop. We did however manage to enter a new country with relative ease: Smile at the cute customs dude. Don't drop the bike Helli. Smile some more. Can we go now? The sweetness of the day was arriving into La Conner at 50 miles an hour in about 6 minutes, compared to our usual hour long slo mo entry by boat up the Swinomish channel at 5 knots! Staying at La Conner Channel Lodge. Beautiful room on the water, complete with fireplace and windstorm. Why aren't there any boats docking right now for entertainment .... Have to adjust suspension on Helli's bike because extra weight (not mine) interfering with kickstand clearance (bike already lowered 2 inches for me) and lack of angle when parked. Early night to catch up on sleep and looking forward to putting some miles on the bike tomorrow. Have bikes will travel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



30th April 2013

Yay!
Glad to know you have the first day under your belt...nothing to it right? :) (don't drop the bike Helli!)
30th April 2013
Still thinking about starting out

Smooth Riding
Look like you're off with a good start. We wish you smooth riding, sunshine, happy times and lots of laughter. Just one more of life's great experiences for the two of you. You're incredible!! We'll be with you all the way. Cheers! R & B

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb