DC to Phoenix Road Trip: Day One, Roanoke, VA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Roanoke
May 1st 2017
Published: May 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

After getting my apartment all packed up and off to storage, we headed out for our first stop on the trip, Roanoke, VA. Roanoke was a stop based upon convenience and distance more than what there is to "say and do" in town. That said, Roanoke has a special small town vibe in the downtown area. We walked through some of the streets downtown enjoying the small fun stores, then headed to dinner at Jack Brown's Beer and Burgers. With specialty burgers named after characters like Danny Laruso and Greg Brady, as well as classic artists like Elvis, we knew we were up for an experience. My dad tried the Jalapeno Popper with cream cheese and pickled jalapenos and I had the Greg Brady with macaroni and cheese, American and cheddar blend cheese and BBQ potato chips. It sounds excessive but the serving sizes are perfect! We shared an order of sweet potato fries. The music was retro cool with artists like David Bowie, The Ramones, and The Clash playing. Loved it.

After dinner, we headed out to the Roanoke Star which is the world's largest man-made star. Erected in 1949 as a symbol of the progressive spirit of Roanoke, star city of the south. In front of the star, which can be viewed from below fully lit at night, was the M. Carl Andrews Overlook. It included a great view of the valley cradling Roanoke and the surrounding mountains. Tomorrow we head to Nashville!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bar at Jack Brown'sBar at Jack Brown's
Bar at Jack Brown's

Fantastic experience and good food. Very friendly and attentive service.


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb