Richmond, VA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Richmond
April 6th 2006
Published: April 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Penny Lane PubThe Penny Lane PubThe Penny Lane Pub

'Hard Cider' and lovely food!
The greyhound trip from Atlanta to Richmond was less eventful! The only mentionable thing was that we were nearly two hours late in departing, due to over crowding on the coach! I wonder if we will ever go on a journey on the greyhounds that leave on time??

When we arrived to Richmond we took a taxi to our hotel. The driver got lost and it ended up costing us more!! Ripped off. But we were happy to just get there after a 11 hour journey! The lobby of our hotel appeared to be nice and the man behind the front desk was nice and polite. We had a bit of banter with him about the greyhounds. Then we went up to the room….. Not really nice at all. After I checked everything for bed bugs, didn’t find any. I felt so much better! The whole place could do with a lick of paint and the railings for the towel needed the few screws it had tightening! Even for the cheap price I did expect a little better. We never got our bin emptied or the towels changed, although one towel went missing!!! And the location was less than ideal.
The lobby of the Jefferson HotelThe lobby of the Jefferson HotelThe lobby of the Jefferson Hotel

A five star, five diamond hotel!! What a place, we didnt stay there though, shame!


In the morning we found a local bus service to take us into the centre. It was cheap and took about 15 to 20mins. We located the visitor centre and booked in on a the Richmond Historical bus tour for the next morning. In our search for the Visitor centre we happened upon a flyer for a British pub, with free Wi fi access and ’hard’ cider!!! So our first destination was the pub!! If you are British and in Richmond this is a must! It is called Penny Lane and is only two blocks from the Visitor centre! The food is lovely and the service is brilliant. Thommo met a girl that used to date someone from his home town (Norwich), small world!!!

The next morning we went into town for the tour! It was really educational and the tour guide appeared to know his stuff well. We covered about 25miles around the centre and learnt so much about the History of Richmond. What a place, used to be very industrial and then thrived on being a Historical city. Was involved a lot with the Civil War, was home to the first Black women involved with banking, the home to Edger Alan Poe, was a massive influence in the tobacco industry. The main street (Broad St) looks run down with many vacant shops but behind that the place is quite well off. The University plays a major role through out the city. There are several monuments dedicated to the important figures in Richmond’s history. Apparently this city now has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. This tour was so good, and only $29!

In the afternoon we went to the Science Museum to act like kids for a while. It is situated in a fantastic building that was once the train station! It was great fun, we even got to watch rats play Basket ball and touch snakes! The Orient Express was parked there too!

The weather was terrible that night, nearly got blown away! So guess what, we went to the pub again. This time we met a lovely American family, with whom we chatted for ages about lots of things ( education, religion and of course politics, everyone talks about politics over here!) They ended up dropping us back to our hotel, sweet as it was late!

Onward to Washington DC....



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Science MuseumScience Museum
Science Museum

Me outside the Museum
Science MuseumScience Museum
Science Museum

Acting like kids!!!!


19th April 2006

american family
bet you were having debates franny!!!! with that family like u used to at edf!!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb