A night off for Martins DJ set,


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Norfolk
July 24th 2007
Published: July 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

norfolk



norfolk
Christoph Hall
The whole group enjoyed Norfolk VA. Brandon and Rhianon were great hosts and a really cute couple as well. We needed internet so Brandon drove us to Panera bread for coffee and interweb. Brian needed to see if he could find parts to fix the AC but found that it would be just too much work to be doing on the road. Aside from that he would need to take it to a shop to remove the freon so it could be worked on and if he couldn't get it all fixed at this stop we wouldn't be able to get our freon back. The AC holds 7 pounds of freon coming in at around $300.

Brian and I stayed at the house while the rest of the group went with Brandon to pick Rhianon up from work. On their return Brian, Laurie, Brandon and I went on a quest for vegoil. We were able to get from Erie PA via Syracuse, NYC, Providence - to Norfolk without putting any diesel in the bus. I think we went to 5 or 6 places before we hit the jackpot and filled the tank. Another $500 in fuel saved. On the drive we passed NASA and the Langley Airforce Base. It took awhile to do that much driving around so Brandon made some food for everyone, we got dressed, and went to the club for Martin's DJ set. We were warmly greeted by Vicki who organized the night. She helped us get our merch set up and got us some beers. This was a nice night off for most of us. A really cool club (it reminded us of a small version of the DNA Lounge in San Francisco) that was air conditioned,no moving gear around all night, and time to talk and drink beer without rushing around. It was a pleasant surprise that the scene here was going well. After having seen most of the "Goth/Industrial night" in most cities in the US we all agreed that this one is definitely in the top 10. Shortly after the doors opened we were shocked to see Jessy James (the Tulsa promoter from our last tour). He said he was attending Blackhawk repair school in Norfolk for awhile. We told him we thought he was in Iraq but he said he didn't foresee going there until next summer. We talked a lot, drank beer, listened to Martins DJ set, and danced a bit before closing the club down at 2am. A short drive through a few tunnels and we were back at Brandon and Rhianon's house. In the morning we said our goodbyes and Brandon pointed us in the direction of the nearest Waffle House.

There really is no good way to get from Norfolk VA to Chapel Hill NC. It mostly involved state highways. it did make the trip a bit more interesting however. We stopped in Franklin Virginia for water and bathrooms. There were a lot of Billies and Bubbas hanging around talking about how high the Powerball lottery was and whether it was worth their time to buy a ticket or not. The weather is showing no sign of letting up. Its about 97 degrees with about 65% humidity. Can't wait to get to the club. Everyones clothes are completely soaked and we can't drink enough water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1962s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb