A Natural Wonder


Advertisement
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This site was my definite "must see" of the day. The Natural Bridge is located in southwest Virginia and is HUGE. Thomas Jefferson bought the Natural Bridge and the area around it from King George III in 1774 for 20 shillings as a means to preserve it for all to see. The Bridge is limestone and 215 feet tall and 90 feet wide. Was considered a Natural Wonder of the New World along with Niagara Falls during those days.

There's also a long walking path which leads you by the Lost River, the Monacan Indian Village, and ends at the Lace Falls. Lace Falls are a series of falls totalling about a 90 foot drop.

Along the path, there are several stairs and the slope can be steep and very slippery at times. However, the facilities have a shuttle service which allows those with disabilities or who have difficulty with stairs to get dropped off near the Natural Bridge so that can be seen easily as a result. It costs $12 to get in to see the Bridge and it's definitely worth it. You can quickly see the bridge and do the walking path within 90 minutes. There's also a huge gift shop with restaurant and other attractions located near by which are also promoted. They also have a light show at night as well.

I've wanted to stop by and see the Bridge for several years now after having to pass by it on a trip to North Carolina when I just didn't have time to stop. Would be even better to see when the trees have leaves and everything is green around it but worth seeing any time of year in my opinion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb