Day at the Memorials


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Fairfax
September 22nd 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

FDR Talks to AmericaFDR Talks to AmericaFDR Talks to America

Words to heal a nation
Saturday (Sep 13) was a down day and the weather cooperated with temps in the 90s and humidity trying to catch the temp. In a word BRUTAL and the reason I don’t live in the east. Sunday was a bit better weather-wise, but still hot and humid.

Sunday is a bad day to visit DC because there are a bunch of gawkers and sightseers like us, but on this Sunday there was also a triathalon so major streets were blocked. I visited parts of town I did not know existed. The Washington monument is always available, so it was bypassed, but we did make it to the FDR monument. This is always a great visit as his words etched in stone are as relative and inspiring today as they were 80+ years ago.

We then went to the Jefferson Memorial. Tommy Jeff is a personal favorite of the Bets, so even the walking and step climbing was OK. Jefferson was a visionary of the Enlightenment, yet seemingly unable to completely disconnect himself from conventional thinking. Not a perfect man, but one who helped create a country of, by, and for the people.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Jefferson LibraryJefferson Library
Jefferson Library

Reproduction from Monticello
Words of JeffersonWords of Jefferson
Words of Jefferson

Timelessness of Jefferson Thought


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb