Fishless in Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
August 4th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

August 4, 2007

Today, we rode our bikes to the swimming beach. It is about 1.5 miles away, down a long dirt and stone road. This beach is sandy and is in a cove on the lake. There are more motorcraft here than I expected but it is still relatively remote. We played at the beach for a few hours and Joe went for a bike ride on the beach. We met some nice kids and Ethan, Elise and Simone spent hours creating a large river and bridge system on the beach.

We returned to our camper for lunch, as the kids are so tired of peanut butter sandwiches that they say they can not eat any more PB&J. Who would have thought! After lunch, we headed for the dam. We ended up taking a tour through Sheep Creek loop. The loop goes through a number of different topographies, and the rock is labeled from a series of different time periods. The loop winds along the creek and up the cliffs. The jetting rock and winding colors were remarkable. Bad news for us, no sheep. We did see one deer though. The loop took a lot longer than we expected. Had we known it was so long we probably would have dedicated a day to hiking there. It is absolutely amazing.

Next stop was the dam. As I mentioned above, it is a huge dam that creates Flaming Gorge lake and also generates energy. We walked down a steep mountain path to fish at the bottom of the dam. We did not have the right equipment, as the river at the bottom of the dam was moving quickly. We fished for a while, then went out to dinner at the Flaming Gorge Resort. It was essentially a good local restaurant. I would recommend it as they had a greatly flavored burrito and a rocking brownie and ice cream Sunday for dessert.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb