Flaming Gorge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
August 3rd 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We drove from Thermopolis to Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area today. It was about a 6 hour drive. The kids did really great again. Once again, they watched Star Wars. I think one of the most amazing parts of spending time with kids is listening to their minds working. When they do not have TV, they are able to generate a number of games and fun. We could here Ethan and Elise laughing in the back of the van most of the drive.

Flaming Gorge is really unique. We found out about it from our favorite family’s website, Lolo’s Extreme Cross-Country Adventures. On that website, they write that Flaming Gorge is a secret place that is fairly unpopulated and beautiful. They were right about the beautiful part. Flaming Gorge is named so because all the rock is red and there is a huge gorge cut out of rock. Flaming Gorge is also in the middle of Dinosaur Alley, where there are lots of rock from different historical periods. Along the side of the road there are signs that say “From the Crustaceous Period” etc.

We are camping at the Lucerne Marina Campground. Out campsite is on the edge of the lake, looking at the red cliffs. The lakes is mostly clear, and is supposedly stocked with lots of trout. The lake was created by a large dam that spans the distance of the gorge. When we came in, it was raining but they haven’t had rain in weeks. There is a large fire somewhere on the other side of the gorge which is making it somewhat hazy. We expected it to be flaming hot, but it has not been unbearable since we’ve been here. It is warm but dry during the day, and cool at night. There are unusual deer/antelope walking all over the campground. Everyone here has a motorboat except us. It seems that lots of locals come here to spend the weekend on the lake.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb