The Sierras to Salt Lake City


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Crossing the Sierra NevadaCrossing the Sierra NevadaCrossing the Sierra Nevada

We cross Donner Summit as we travel east on Highway 50.
May 13th. We start our trip in earnest as we travel east over the snow-capped Sierras on Highway 50. Nevada is greener than we can ever remember seeing it, due, no doubt to the long rainy season this year. We see several birds, such as ibis and snowy egrets at Stillwater Refuge where we have detoured for a lunch stop.

Dramatic clouds surround us as we drive through Nevada and Utah. When we reach Wendover on the Nevada/Utah Border, we head north to experience the salt flats of the Great Salt Lake, which are, as expected, an endless flat expanse. But even here the rains have created some small ponds and marshes.

May 14th. As we approach Salt Lake City, we head for Antelope Island State Park to try our first night of car camping. It is a beautiful spot on a large island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake. What looks like a short drive turns out to be an frustrating series of traffic delays due to highway construction. Once we get to the park and drive out to the one campsite available, we discover that it is on an open expanse of gravel with no
Green NevadaGreen NevadaGreen Nevada

One of many green oases we see from the road as we drive through Nevada.
shade, no water, no place flat enough to pitch a tent and no nearby toilets. As we debate whether to give it a try, the storm clouds across the lake become darker and we hear thunder. When little black bugs start to bite and we see nearby lightning bolts, we figure that tonight is not our night to camp. We make a quick stop at the visitor center on the way out of the park. The heavy rains and hail that pelt us as we leave convince us that we have made the right decision. Motel 6 here we come. Tomorrow we will see the sights in Salt Lake City.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sagebrush and snowSagebrush and snow
Sagebrush and snow

As we cross through sage brush country we can see snow-covered mountains in the distance.
The Great Salt Lake DesertThe Great Salt Lake Desert
The Great Salt Lake Desert

Miles and miles of white salt with mountains and clouds on the horizon.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb